new start

JJ

Well-known user
Sep 10, 2004
Manchester
ok finally getting round to re doing the whole stereo system of my car with lots of new goodies, extra sound deadening big job with lots of things to try which may or may not work but fingers crossed, pretty busy at the moment so not sure how often it will be updated but hoping to have it all completed in around 6-8 weeks.

Ok for those who never saw it/heard it old install
03042008418.jpg

And here is the "new" temporary install note the 250w RMS sub being run from around 3kilowatts RMS how long will it last given my love for music?????, the new sound deadening in the boot is 3/4" thick rubber backed acoustalay glued to the floor/wheel well heavy as you've ever felt but needed in the boot it is also now fitted under the rear seats.

012609111230.jpg

NICE! so what was your setup and what are you changing it to?

Im running a Pioneer DEH-3000MP head with oe door speakers and a Fli 2X 12" box with a 1000w amp. I want to switch the doors for 6x9 at some point and maybe port the sub box and parcel shelf.

original set up was 2 15" pbx xs15dv2 rated at 1000w RMS each but known to take a lot more ( I am running with 3000w RMS) infinity reference components in the from doors running from a jbl 600w amp, kenwood 6x9's in the rear, most of the old system has been snapped up so need to get moving on the new one.

The new system I am not elaborating on at the moment apart from to say I will prob be keeping the subs and big amp and this will be better quality a lot louder ( because it wasn't loud enough:eek:ut:) and nicer to look at(y).

JJ

NICE! so what was your setup and what are you changing it to?

Im running a Pioneer DEH-3000MP head with oe door speakers and a Fli 2X 12" box with a 1000w amp. I want to switch the doors for 6x9 at some point and maybe port the sub box and parcel shelf.

To be honest I wouldn't bother porting the shelf it makes little difference really in the hatch back more a job to do on a saloon, also go for components in the front doors and change the rears to 6x9 if you want to its not needed and they don't tend to work so well in the front doors much better to put a nice set of components in the doors on a solid baffle (MDF not some of those crap plastic things you can get).(y)

JJ

Managed to get the wood cut today ready to start building the box might get chance to start that tomorrow, the panels so far are all just square got to cut the M shape out and work out the angles to cut the panels to fit the faces onto the box thats going to be the biggest headache as they are on two planes rather than just one and it is going to need to be hella strong to take the pressure from these subs.

Got some bullet proof perspex to to use in the box top and divider as standard stuff won't stand a hope of taking the pressure.

Hoping by sunday to have it complete, well the box at least just depends on how many distractions I end up with over the weekend in which case the box is not going to get a look in:dita:.

JJ

how do you avoid flashing/dimming lights?

That tickles me!! Mine does that but not quite in he way that Jasons car used to control the engine speed with his bass : the deeper the bass, the slower the car LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yeah between Rob,Kully and myself we have worked out it draws so much current it is stopping the coil etc getting enough power so you feel the engine lurching hwen the bass hits its not good.

The new set up will have 180ah worth of batterys in the boot running a split charge system and a uprated alternator still wont be enough but it should do ok as this time I will be running more power to the amps.

The lights don't actually dim they more turn off and thats with only two amps drawing around 3000w RMS and thats with a 74ah battery in the engine bay and a brand new standard alternator so the whole stereo system will be running its own loom none of the ford wiring will be used not even to the head unit a ball ache but worked out well on the last cougar.

JJ

Are you running any capacitors with this setup?

Possible but doubtful it really depends how much the batterys struggle to cope with the set up I will be running, I don't really like them but they do a reasonable job of smoothing out the drops from the heavy bass hits.

JJ

I would have though you could get away with running a 1 or 1.5uF on each amp and cut down on the extra batts might save you some money and make the batts lifes a bit easier. just my 2c

I will defo need the battery's already do to be honest just for running the 15" subs they really suck the juice very quickly calculations are a 10 farad will do the job if the two batterys don't on there own a 1-1.5 won't even come close with the system I have planned lol.

I did actually have one on my other cougar but that was only running something similar to yours two type R alpines with a 1200w rms amp think from memory it was a 2 farad and with a heavy duty battery up front (memory is telling me 89ah and 790 cc amps) that did a sterling job.

The wiring will bei n place for extra charging equipment if it is required but I am hoping the two deep cycles in the wheel well should cope ok its not like I am building it to compete on a major level and won't be running full tilt all the time, well the plan is not to but I do get carried away lol.

Out of interest what box are you running for your 12"s ported or sealed?.

JJ

sp3n, Anything you like actually very sad to admit but Il divo sounds awesome thru it the clarity is superb I don't have a specific taste in music I listen to loads, killers, scouting for girls, dance music etc.

cmewse, You can't port the box they are in but build a ported box will sound so much deeper as long as you build a good box for them, I have some software that can tell me what sort of specs to build to or I can build one for you.

Al, Bring a cd once it is up and running anything you like and I'll show you:yikes:(y)

JJ

sp3n, anything you like actually very sad to admit but il divo sounds awesome thru it the clarity is superb i don't have a specific taste in music i listen to loads, killers, scouting for girls, dance music etc.

Cmewse, you can't port the box they are in but build a ported box will sound so much deeper as long as you build a good box for them, i have some software that can tell me what sort of specs to build to or i can build one for you.

al, bring a cd once it is up and running anything you like and i'll show you:yikes:(y)

Jj

t.rex....