New SVT upgrades

p.whitelock

Well-known user
Jul 19, 2005
Middlesbrough
Hi guys, been a busy day fitting my SVT lim, uim and t/b but it was worth it. It took me the good part of a day from start to finish but it would have been alot quicker if i had known a few things before starting. But ill know if anyone else wants help doing this mod in the future 8)
For those who dont know what these are, they are the parts from the SVT (Fords 'Special Vehicle Team') engine from a US car. The throttle body is larger, the ports in the UIM are larger (and the UIM is a tasty black colour) and the LIM has larger secondary throttle ports. Before fitting these parts i cleaned and optimised them by filing down the loose threads on all the screws and straightening out a few bent butterflies on the LIM (how much difference this makes im not sure, but i had nothing better to do :LOL: )
The car now picks up alot quicker due to the larger throttle body and the low end torque has significantly improved. It was definitely worth doing this mod and i think it has released the power held back from fitting previous exhaust mods. Another noticable gain is the engine tone. I will have to record a new exhaust clip tomorrow as its just gorgeous (however there is still the persistant rasp on accelaration, that after speaking to some guys on newcougar.org is probably due to my sports cat').

P1010637.jpg

P1010638.jpg

FlamencoAssassin said:
Nice work Paul. You knew it made sense. :LOL: :LOL:

Where's he gone? For another blast I expect. :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

Hehe, i am enjoying the car a bit more now :oops: :LOL: 8)
I didnt even have to replace any injector O rings, they came out all nice :D

Looks great Paul. It might be worth getting it dyno tuned on a rolling road now :wink: Plus you will be able to see just how much power you are pushing after all these mods :D

v6_cougar_london said:
Looks great Paul. It might be worth getting it dyno tuned on a rolling road now :wink: Plus you will be able to see just how much power you are pushing after all these mods :D

My thoughts exactly! Id like to think that after a RR tuning session with a custom map it would break the 200bhp mark. Id be more than happy with the car then :D

How much are we talking for this upgrade, i'd definitely be interested in doing this after the outside of my car is done 8)

The engine looks cool too :D

Lewy said:
Be interesting to see how much it costs ?

M44TY O said:
How much are we talking for this upgrade, i'd definitely be interested in doing this after the outside of my car is done 8)

The engine looks cool too :D

Its a while since i bought these but if i remember correctly i paid around $350-$400 for the bits including postage. Remeber there is import tax on that and you will need new gaskets for things like the IACV, lim/uim, lim/cylinder head etc.

FlamencoAssassin said:
Isn't it about time you got your @rse and the cat to some shows Paul?
It will mean washing the car tho'. :LOL: :LOL:

Hehe, the car has been washed for the year but i will try to make some shows. But im either away working or skint.

phil robbo said:
Cracking job young Smoggy.

Strange that......was expecting something like this>>>>>>>>

''not my cuppa Paul'' :LOL: :LOL:

Price of the remap would be intersting Paul :wink:

Price of the remap would be intersting Paul

@lewy:

I've enquired today with Collins Engineering in Congleton for a price for remap including a before and after dyno testing report. I will post their reply (prices). I'm sure I posted this info many moons ago to you, these guys were good with the cossies and still are with anything Ford. They are well equipped and best of all they are in Cheshire mate!

Their website is here:

http://www.mongooseexhausts.com/

Cheers

Ste

Good work mate just finished mine this weekend, just waiting for a new emblem from the states, for anyone who is thinking of doing this mod go for it you will not be disapointed the engine revs a lot quicker and sounds better.

2008_0520Image0018.jpg

2008_0520Image0021.jpg

Well after i have managed to drive around now for a bit with these bits fitted i can definitely recommend these. The torque increase in the low and mid rev range has significantly improved. The power seems to have moved from high up in the rev range to much lower down so is now more useable and you dont feel like you are torturing the car to get its power. Coming back from the town centre today i was just leaving everything for dead at lights etc... those corsas and swifts didnt have a chance :LOL: :oops: