Review: 5/5 Poorboys

mmikey82

Well-known user
Jul 17, 2009
manchester
First a little story, while on holiday I got talking to a young man whilst at the bar and the conversation turned to cars and then one of my favourite subjects detailing, he asked me if I had ever used Poorboys products (which thanks to Mako introducing me to blackhole) I had but only blackhole . It turns out he worked for a Poorboys distributer and said if I gave him my address he would send me some samples.
Because I was drunk I cant even remember his name ( shame on me ) and totally forgot about his offer, till a few days ago these turned up at the door
IMG_4017.jpg
So not to miss out on a freebie I got to work, washed clayed and wiped the car down-
Firstly the blackhole as Mako says quality product very easy to use and very easy to wipe off, I used a buffer to apply just to get an even coat and then buffed off with a microfiber cloth
Rating 5/5
Easy on
Easy off
Perfect

Then the Natty paste wax
This is what I call a soft wax , I like to apply wax with my fingers and work it into the paintwork - my body heat made the wax very soft and very easy to spread evenly.
Then allowing the wax to haze and then buff off using a new microfiber cloth, there was no white powder at all and was very easy to buff to a high gloss finish
Rating 5/5
Easy on
Easy off
High gloss finish
Perfect

Finally Bold and bright
It says on the bottle its for rubber and plastic
On tyres applied with a cloth and wiped off excess- very good finnish
On plastic applied with a cloth wiped off excess very poor finnish, very streaky - tried it a couple of different ways always gave a streaky finnish
Rating on rubber 5/5
Easy on and good shine

Rating on plastic 2/5
Easy on but very poor finnish

I will keep an eye on durability and let you know
And now the pics
IMG_4009.jpg
IMG_4010.jpg
IMG_4011.jpg
IMG_4013.jpg
IMG_4012.jpg
Pictures dont really do the shine justice but i am very very happy with the outcome (y)

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
The dedicated trim restorer they sell includes detergents and leaves a dry finish. I'll go find out the name of it tomorrow. Bold 'n' Bright doesn't work on plastics, as you've found; it doesn't dry correctly.

Good job there Mike, fancy coming and doing your magic on your old cat...:rolleyes:

Dude... no.

Franspeed

Club Member
Feb 23, 2014
Nottinghamshire
The dedicated trim restorer they sell includes detergents and leaves a dry finish. I'll go find out the name of it tomorrow. Bold 'n' Bright doesn't work on plastics, as you've found; it doesn't dry correctly.

Dude... no.

I'll never get the finish Mike got...:eek:

Last edited:

WildV6

Club Member
Feb 2, 2008
Devon, UK
I'll never get the finish Mick got...:eek:
Lol!! Yes, you will. If you give your coug a good wash, then clay bar and then do just as Mick did (with some elbow grease), you'll get the desired finish, just as Mick did. I intend to do the same on my Mondy ready for coming to Cosford, just need some dry weather on my days off.

Mick, you've done a brilliant job on your Mini, looks superb mate.

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
Poorboys Natural Look is what you want to finish the plastics. It won't remove polish, but it gives a nice shine with no streaks.

If they're particularly stained, use their Trim Restorer first.

You can also carefully remove old polish (especially from textured plastics) with a 1:10 solution of 5% white vinegar and tepid water, though you should do this before you wash the car because it's obviously acidic and won't do your lacquer any favours.

:edit: Guys, I think you're talking about Mike? Not sure if he minds being called Mick, but...

Rickysmith189

Well-known user
Jan 10, 2016
Sandbach
I must admit when I had my black Insignia I loved the polish for black/very dark vehicles it is very hard to beat.

But good write up Mike! You JCW is definately a looked!

mmikey82

Well-known user
Jul 17, 2009
manchester
Poorboys Natural Look is what you want to finish the plastics. It won't remove polish, but it gives a nice shine with no streaks. .
Cheers Chris I will get some and give it a go, on black plastic most of the marks and stains are from old trim restorer especially on the mini with its large arches - I have found that a little bit of MPC ( multi purpose cleaner ) on a magic sponge works wonders and brings them back like new. I use one called elbow grease
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-100-P...var=671272096519&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I got these, they dont last long but are so cheap who cares (y) you can pick them up in pound shops just to try out

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
My mind was blown when I discovered a few years ago that those Magic Eraser things are literally just foamed melamine blocks.

A few quid for a hundred of them instead of a fiver a pair is a no-brainer, too!