Review: 5/5 Poorboys

mmikey82

Well-known user
Jul 17, 2009
manchester
First a little story, while on holiday I got talking to a young man whilst at the bar and the conversation turned to cars and then one of my favourite subjects detailing, he asked me if I had ever used Poorboys products (which thanks to Mako introducing me to blackhole) I had but only blackhole . It turns out he worked for a Poorboys distributer and said if I gave him my address he would send me some samples.
Because I was drunk I cant even remember his name ( shame on me ) and totally forgot about his offer, till a few days ago these turned up at the door
IMG_4017.jpg
So not to miss out on a freebie I got to work, washed clayed and wiped the car down-
Firstly the blackhole as Mako says quality product very easy to use and very easy to wipe off, I used a buffer to apply just to get an even coat and then buffed off with a microfiber cloth
Rating 5/5
Easy on
Easy off
Perfect

Then the Natty paste wax
This is what I call a soft wax , I like to apply wax with my fingers and work it into the paintwork - my body heat made the wax very soft and very easy to spread evenly.
Then allowing the wax to haze and then buff off using a new microfiber cloth, there was no white powder at all and was very easy to buff to a high gloss finish
Rating 5/5
Easy on
Easy off
High gloss finish
Perfect

Finally Bold and bright
It says on the bottle its for rubber and plastic
On tyres applied with a cloth and wiped off excess- very good finnish
On plastic applied with a cloth wiped off excess very poor finnish, very streaky - tried it a couple of different ways always gave a streaky finnish
Rating on rubber 5/5
Easy on and good shine

Rating on plastic 2/5
Easy on but very poor finnish

I will keep an eye on durability and let you know
And now the pics
IMG_4009.jpg
IMG_4010.jpg
IMG_4011.jpg
IMG_4013.jpg
IMG_4012.jpg
Pictures dont really do the shine justice but i am very very happy with the outcome (y)

The dedicated trim restorer they sell includes detergents and leaves a dry finish. I'll go find out the name of it tomorrow. Bold 'n' Bright doesn't work on plastics, as you've found; it doesn't dry correctly.

Good job there Mike, fancy coming and doing your magic on your old cat...:rolleyes:

Dude... no.

The dedicated trim restorer they sell includes detergents and leaves a dry finish. I'll go find out the name of it tomorrow. Bold 'n' Bright doesn't work on plastics, as you've found; it doesn't dry correctly.

Dude... no.

I'll never get the finish Mike got...:eek:

Last edited:
I'll never get the finish Mick got...:eek:
Lol!! Yes, you will. If you give your coug a good wash, then clay bar and then do just as Mick did (with some elbow grease), you'll get the desired finish, just as Mick did. I intend to do the same on my Mondy ready for coming to Cosford, just need some dry weather on my days off.

Mick, you've done a brilliant job on your Mini, looks superb mate.

Poorboys Natural Look is what you want to finish the plastics. It won't remove polish, but it gives a nice shine with no streaks.

If they're particularly stained, use their Trim Restorer first.

You can also carefully remove old polish (especially from textured plastics) with a 1:10 solution of 5% white vinegar and tepid water, though you should do this before you wash the car because it's obviously acidic and won't do your lacquer any favours.

:edit: Guys, I think you're talking about Mike? Not sure if he minds being called Mick, but...

I must admit when I had my black Insignia I loved the polish for black/very dark vehicles it is very hard to beat.

But good write up Mike! You JCW is definately a looked!

Poorboys Natural Look is what you want to finish the plastics. It won't remove polish, but it gives a nice shine with no streaks. .
Cheers Chris I will get some and give it a go, on black plastic most of the marks and stains are from old trim restorer especially on the mini with its large arches - I have found that a little bit of MPC ( multi purpose cleaner ) on a magic sponge works wonders and brings them back like new. I use one called elbow grease
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-100-P...var=671272096519&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I got these, they dont last long but are so cheap who cares (y) you can pick them up in pound shops just to try out

My mind was blown when I discovered a few years ago that those Magic Eraser things are literally just foamed melamine blocks.

A few quid for a hundred of them instead of a fiver a pair is a no-brainer, too!