Redex

I don't disagree, and this thread has served its purpose. So...

What is your Cougar's preferred fuel and why?

BP Ultimate

Why?

I pay cost price :LOL:

Ive used sainsburys before when im in a pinch, makes the Cougar run like a nail, dont notice any difference in the Focus though

Misfuelled or misinformed ?

The main thing that can go wrong is the tanker driver putting it into the wrong tank at the forecourt, Ive only known it happen once when they put Diesel into an Unleaded tank..that was an expensive mistake for him
shock.png

It's a long time ago now, but somebody here 'mis-fueled' a car and we had to deal with it. Luckily only a few litres had been pumped before this was spotted. So we considered calling the 'Fuel Doctor' but then someone back home researched it on the internet.

Now before I tell you my story, we should remember that there is an entire industry built around misfuelling. Sadly, it is in their best interests to scare the pants of us all if they are to optimise their profits. I appreciate that a quick Google search will yield a page of sponsored and paid for ads recommending draining, purging and bleeding your fuels system, but is this always necessary ?

We were lead to believe that both petrol and diesel engines will tolerate a certain amount of the wrong fuel, I thought it was 10% but could be wrong. I use the term 'a little' to mean where the mix will be at least 90% correct and 10% or less incorrect fuel. I've just done a quick search on the internet and can find absolutely nothing on this today, whereas at the time everyone was offering similar advice.

The idea was that if you had just added 'a little' of the wrong fuel to a tank of the correct one, that it would mix in and be ok. That's to say it won't win a grand prix, but it also won't damage the engine. Similarly, if you had added 'a little' incorrect fuel to an empty tank, you should then fill it completely with the correct fuel to dilute it before starting. We did one of these and had no issues whatsoever. Unfortunately we have 2 diesels and two petrol and I can't remember which way around it was.

Another thing to remember is that lorry drivers are traditionally supposed to add a small amount of petrol to their diesel tanks to aid starting / fuel flow in the winter. Unofficially I have even been asked by a fuel supplier ( in a suspiciously quiet voice at a trade show ) - 'Pssst, sir, do you DERV your vehicles in the winter ?'. I think a diesel can run on almost entirely kerosene without harm, but certainly a very high percentage. Hmmm, doesn't my central heating oil tank say 'kerosene' on it ? ( No its not red and smelly either ) Hmmm, 45p a litre eh ? This is of course illegal if you don't declare it to the tax man due to loss of fuel duty !

My point is that perhaps we don't need to panic quite as much as the politically correct 'fuel fixers' and nervous main dealers might have us think. The pragmatic advice on what you can get away with may have given way to a few law suits, but I suspect it remains fundamentally correct. Perhaps contaminated fuel on a large scale such as Dan mentions, can just be reprocessed at a refinery. Its got to be cheaper and cleaner than fresh crude surely ? Or could the clandestine disposal of all this contaminated fuel be why some batches of petrol are so bad in the first place !

I use the green one marked 'unleaded' - supermarket, local garage or big fuel supplier it makes no difference to me.

And that's not because the Zetec doesn't have enough power for it to make a difference:LOL:

The Mondeo often uses BP, which is because that is what my work fuel card is and the occasional 'extra' five litre can isn't really noticeable. Alledgedly:LOL:

Had it with the old cougar and the new one, bad smell after a foot to the floor acceleration, I just use a bottle of Cataclean, never had a problem after that.

A little petrol in Diesel isnt so bad Noel, Diesel in petrol is worse as it is much thicker and will clog the injectors.

In theory you shouldnt be able to put Diesel into a petrol as the diesel nozzle is much bigger (it was designed on purpose for that reason ) but the smaller unleaded nozzle will quite easily fit into a Diesel

Not to mention you will upset the Cougar gods putting that devil juice into her :devilish:

I generally stick with shell but, if the tank is low and i fill up with BP Ultimate i can notice a definate increase in performance. The engine seems to run so much easier. :D

Since the Cougar has been with me it's been on super (whatever I can get, including supermarket own if that's what is available), although on the European tour I also put in a dose of Millers with every full tank. I know prior to me most of it's 100k miles were done on boggo supermarket fuel, most likely Tesco or Sainsbury and when my mate tootles it'll likely be Morrisons. When it's back with me it'll WILL be super / Millers again.

Now my wife's diesel has usually been ran on supermarket fuel (~18k / year) as I have no control what goes in. However when she lets me know it's been filled and I put some Miller in I find it running a lot smoother but no change in mpg worthy of note. Why did I try it? Well her previous RAV4 2.2 ran sounded like a tractor on usual diesel but was silky on Shell SuperMegaNitro+.

My car is only ever ran on super, again whatever I can get, but before the job change I used Tesco Momentum and loved it. It'd be my first choice but I simply don't work or live anywhere near a Tesco fuel outlet anymore. I have used Costco a few times and it seemed to agree with their super so I might start making a point of going there.

Price difference is irrelevant as I do so few miles now (maybe a tank a month in my daily) and less in the Cougar, so I figure why not? The logic with the wife's car is a) she does do higher miles so the cost would make a difference, and b) putting Millers in is probably the best I can do as she struggles to find super diesel anyway.

That'll be heat soak in the summer Noel

Open your bonnet, see that stupid piece of carpet stuck underneath it? Throw it in the bin and thank the Cougar gods ;)

to add my tuppence worth.

A few years ago I ditched the standard exhaust manifolds and the exhaust gas recirc pipe at the same time.
I pulled the upper inlet manifold and cleaned both primary and secondary inlets to the LIM, they were nicely carboned up but use of an industrial hoover prevented most of the crap going into the combustion chambers. didn't remove the LIM or clean below the closed secondary butterflies.
I presently have the LIM off as part of replacing the cams. The primary inlets into the head are still nice n clean but the secondaries that come into play at higher revs are pretty crappy.
Fuel wise its Tesco, basic.

My conclusion
Removing the exhaust recirc and runnning tesco fuel has cleaned the primary inlets below the lim where I didn't clean it manually but the less frequently used secondaries are still crappy.
The crap in the inlet ( and beyond into the combustion chambers ) comes from the exhaust recirc system not the fuel. If it was cheap fuel both sets of inlets would be crapped up not just the secondaries.

That's not to say Redex and similar isn't good, If it does anything it'll clean the injectors etc prior to the inlet manifold in the places that cannot otherwise be reached.

Every now and again I'll give my bike a dose of Tesco super dooper fuel at the pump, I can't say it feels any different but frankly that beast makes more than I've got the skill to use to the max but that ain't for the lack of trying.

My cat seems more dependent on the weather than fuel. It really likes cold, damp, foggy weather, when it seems to have extra ooomph...

Air density. Your car is inhaling dense, wet air which increases the volume of the inlet charge.