SCC v 406 coupé

Relliott6879

Club Admin
Jul 5, 2009
Fleetwood
Today we popped along to a joint meet, organised by one of the guys from SCC. I didn't think anyone would mine me putting the pics up here, as I know that a lot of .com members are also on SCC (myself included) and from what I've heard and read to date, the two clubs exist in harmony - as opposed to any .nettery

The meet was at the Bluebell Inn in Liss (just outside Petersfield) and was a joint meet with a Peugeot 406 coupé owners club. Initially it looked like all the Pug chaps had bottled it, but eventually a few of them turned up and we had a good chinwag about the various merits of eachother's chosen steed and both parties dished out passenger rides for comparison. The general conscencus from both sides was that the Cougar is quicker, which is a little bemusing as apparantly the Pug (a 3.0 V6) puts out 210bhp straight out of the box. I personally think the 406 coupé is a beautiful looking car and seriously considered one before eventually getting my first Cougar. They're very nice inside too, the cabin build quality is quite a bit higher than ours and they have a lot of toys. Apparantly the electrics are something of an Achilles' heel though, and apparantly they go through engine mounts every 30,000 miles or so!

Anyway, pictures.

07112010703.jpg

All Cougars at this point.

07112010701.jpg

Carpfisher asked for a look under my bonnet, it'd be rude to refuse!

07112010702.jpg

She's getting there. More bits and bobs to do, but it's definitely starting to look along the right lines.

07112010704.jpg

Another Cougar, the 106s were nothing to do with the meet and just there by coincidence.

07112010705.jpg

Nice Frosty with a Roush rear wing.

07112010706.jpg

Didz's (Meet organiser) Cougar and a couple of the Pugs.
07112010707.jpg

The 'oppositon'. Very pretty, one has to admit.

07112010708.jpg

The 3.0 V6 heart of the 406 coupé. 210bhp as standard but not as quick as a Cougar, very strange. They don't sound as 'V6ey' either.

That pug engine looks very familiar will have a delve and see if I can find out who made it!

Liking the look of that Frosty with the Roush spoiler. ;) Great day, took a ride out in a Pug with 230 bhp (albeit an auto) then returned the favour in Relfski's Cat (I'd have taken him in mine if it didn't have gearbox issues) and all he could say about the Cat was it was "brutal". He couldn't believe the Cat only had 170 bhp, and was so much quicker than the Pug. I have to say the Pug is a very comfortable car, but can't hold a light to the Cat on acceleration.

Might be good for UKC to try and get some cross make meets.

Great pic's Rich and nice to see us meeting up with other clubs. Surprised at the Pugs being slower than the Coug?? Wonder if the Pug is designed for more long range cruising??? According to Parkers the Pugs are:

3.0 V6 2d (AC) (97)7.6 s146 mph194 bhp(more info)3.0 V6 2d Auto (AC) (97)9.3 s143 mph194 bhp(more info)3.0 V6 SE 2d (AC)7.6 s146 mph194 bhp(more info)3.0 V6 SE 2d Auto (AC)9.3 s143 mph194 bhp(more info)3.0 V6 2d (AC) (00)7.5 s149 mph210 bhp(more info)3.0 V6 2d Auto (AC) (00)9.2 s144 mph210 bhp(more info)

3.0 V6 (210bhp) Petrol 0-60Top SpeedBHP 3.0 V6 (210bhp) SE 2d7.5 s149 mph210 bhp(more info)3.0 V6 (210bhp) SE 2d Auto9.2 s144 mph210 bhp(more info)

So looks like there are different variations of the V6 lump. Also the Pugs are 139kg heavier than the Coug, as they weigh in at 1481kg, whereas the V6 Coug is 1342kg.

Very strange! The 0-60 quoted on all the car sites for the 3.0 406 Coupe is 7.6secs for the 194bhp version and 7.5secs for the 210bhp version. Perhaps the power delivery changes the perception of acceleration? Maybe the 406 engine just bleeds off a lot of power with milage on the clock?

Odd either way. I was driving a 6.6 second to 60 car very recently and other than the rate at which the needle went round the speedometer, the acceleration didn't really feel that much from the driver's seat. Some cars are odd like that.

south coast cougar another top website for coogs, a more localised club but most of us are also members.checkit out!:cool:

Thanks have registered to have a nosey around, doubt I'd have even clicked it from google with it being called south coast cougars!, It just sounds not right for me as the South Coast is a few hundred miles away! 'UK' Cougar Owners Club sounds a lot more inviting from the name!

ly enough I've just been out for my lunchtime walk and seen a black V6 Cougar and a blue 406 Coupe parked next to one another at the side of the road. How sweet :LOL:

I agree that 406 coupe is a pretty car. I generally like most of Pinninfarina's efforts, although there are one or two best forgotten as with any design house :LOL:

ly enough I've just been out for my lunchtime walk and seen a black V6 Cougar and a blue 406 Coupe parked next to one another at the side of the road. How sweet :LOL:

I agree that 406 coupe is a pretty car. I generally like most of Pinninfarina's efforts, although there are one or two best forgotten as with any design house :LOL:
didn't do a brilliant job on the Focus CC mind (even though I like the car) it has a large arse :LOL: most of the vehicles with the Prancing Horse on though look ok

Thanks have registered to have a nosey around, doubt I'd have even clicked it from google with it being called south coast cougars!, It just sounds not right for me as the South Coast is a few hundred miles away! 'UK' Cougar Owners Club sounds a lot more inviting from the name!

Quite a few of us on UKCOUGAR.COM are also members on SCC and we try to set up meets which involve both clubs once or twice within the year. I'm sure you would have seen a lot of forum names on there that you would have recognised from this forum.