ST upgrade/update

ste_eck

Well-known user
May 11, 2008
Not posted for a week, but have been busy on the car. Internet connection went down Sunday and only came back on this sfternoon, so I couldn't get online anyway. The engine is now completely fitted (except for factory ST200 airbox, which should be here tomorrow). Here's the pic's:

All ready, just need st ecu pairing up with my existing keys and to flush and fill the coolant and change oil and filter.
07062008240.jpg

07062008241.jpg

07062008242.jpg

07062008243.jpg

07062008244.jpg

07062008245.jpg

Got a local locksmith in to redo the ecu, he charged me ?ú30 and came to me. Bargain Ford charge ?ú80 and you have to transport the car to them to have it done! So here's Neil on with the job:

09062008249.jpg

Here's a free plug for him, if anyone needs his service in the North West:

09062008250.jpg

The car started up after half a dozen turns, I was buzzing, everything is working perfectly, I have no faults anywhere at all! So I decided to fit the Mondy cruise control steering wheel. This is when I realised that the airbag off the standard cougar steering wheel dont fit the cruise control one, so I had to fit the Mondy 1 which leaves me with the problem of the Ford logo in the centre. So I had a svt 1 made up, see:

09062008251.jpg

09062008252.jpg

So to get the car ready for the road all that is left is refit driveshafts and connect all steering gear and jobs a good un! Here's where I stall again! I've fitted new rack, wishbones, roll bar bushes and had a set of drop links from ebay which I bought over 14 months ago. I open the packs (I didn't look at them when the arrived I just threw the packages onto the pile of parts I'd collected), guess what:

08062008247.jpg

I have a Cougar 1 at 240mm centres with M10 connectors and another approx 180mm centres with M12 connectors. Oh well the pair for ?ú11 delivered did seem too good to be true! So Sunday I ordered another and I'm still waiting for it to arrive! If it turns up tomorrow I will get it MOT'd, taxed and drop it in at a bodyshop for touching up. Then all thats left is a remap and get my new plate (S)T200 SVT. Oh and order that nice little spolier for between my blueflames from Alan!

Cheers

Ste

More pic's to follow.

I just wish you wouldnt keep pushing that ultra clean engine in my face :LOL: looks brilliant Ste, now, if i had a V6, thats the kind of look i would be after, maybe a blend of the Ste/Manos engine bay :? :wink: So when we going to see it in the Flesh?
Btw, when you said "spoiler for between my blueflames" you gave me an idea :idea:

@Alan: Just set aside approx 200 hours to remove engine and clean/fix/repair/adjust every single component then pop it back in and everything will look brand new!

@FlamencoAssassin: I must have clocked that Ford sticker a million times already, hopefully 1 day I will actually remember to remove it!

Seriously though, so far , touch wood! This refit has gone like a dream, I had serious concerns about the electric's. I was amazed that the Cougar main loom was 100% compatible with the ST engine loom, but it is! The icing on the cake will be if the ST instrument console is complete with the wiring and bulb for the cruise control, if its not, it soon will be!

Cheers

Ste

ste_eck said:
@FlamencoAssassin: I must have clocked that Ford sticker a million times already, hopefully 1 day I will actually remember to remove it!
Don't leave it too long otherwise it won't peel off cleanly. :wink:

ste_eck said:
The icing on the cake will be if the ST instrument console is complete with the wiring and bulb for the cruise control, if its not, it soon will be!
On the C1 style instrument cluster there isn't a warning light for cruise, it's a 'sidelights on' indicator (and Ford rarely fitted a bulb in it).
On the C2 cluster it's a warning light for the cruise. I found the bulb was already fitted when I did my cruise conversion..
I'm talking about the next light down from the left indicator light. :wink:

On the C1 style instrument cluster there isn't a warning light for cruise, it's a 'sidelights on' indicator (and Ford rarely fitted a bulb in it).
On the C2 cluster it's a warning light for the cruise. I found the bulb was already fitted when I did my cruise conversion..
I'm talking about the next light down from the left indicator light.

I know m8, I read your other post. However the dials I have fitted arn't Cougar1 or 2, they are ST200 Cougar dials, so I'm hoping the circuit and bulb was included for cruise control. I can't test it yet as the bloody drop link has still not arrived, neither has the st200 airbox! I can't find any info on the ST200 dials as the car was dropped before production commenced, although we all know that Ford press released the ST200 (this is where I've followed its spec from!). Although they shelved production they did manufacture the parts, hence I was able to get my hands on a brand new set of dials, I know that they made the sill plates too, but I can't find these anywhere yet! If the circuit is not already included I will add it myself as I know the pinouts from the cruise control module so it shouldn't be difficult (the hard part will as usual be my crap soldering ability!).

If anyone has any pic's of the ST200 Cougar that was shown in Frankfurt in 1999, then I'd appreciate you posting them here, I suspect for 1 that the interior uses the Recaro's like the Cougar2 (same as Mondy ST200). My aim is to replicate the exact spec of the ST200 Cougar. Like the Cougar-S's that members here own, I want to create the car that Ford didn't bother to make. A standard 1 off if you like.

Cheers

Ste

i was looking at some eliminator stuff, is it possible the ST200 used the same or similar interior. Eliminator has recaro seats and iirc they were both at a similar stage of developement in 99.