ST170 Brake Upgrade

sforrest10

Well-known user
Dec 21, 2005
Marske-by-sea
Here are some pictures of my ST170 brake conversion.

The Callipers are from a scrapped MK3 Mondeo and where in poor condition.
To get the OEM look i had them blasted with fibreglass beads and then a temperature resistant alloy colour powder coat was applied.

I then prepared the callipers by removing powder coat from areas which will make contact with the Brake Pads to stop jamming and overheating.

Then i replaced all of the seals on the master cylinder and sliders.

Once i had checked the callipers over i ordered the MK3 Mondeo pads and Focus ST170 from Active @ Cougarstore (y)

The Parts arrived next day and several litres of brake fluid later they where done :smile5:

This mod makes a BIG difference to the stopping power. The Callipers are also a much better design and will not be prone to sticking an jamming like the MK2 callipers and i would recommend them to anyone who wants to improve there brakes.

My next improvement on this Modification is to design a shim to space out the calliper instead of washers. This will provide a much firmer mounting point for the calliper and also look a lot more professional.

ST170%20Brakes%201.jpg

ST170%20Brakes%202.jpg

ST170%20Brakes%203.jpg

And a picture of the 1 1/2 year old Tarrox G88 disks that where removed.
As you can see water and damp has erroded the underside of the braking surface and distroyed it, which says a lot about the quality of Tarrox's products :mad5:

db1.jpg

db2.jpg

Last edited:
I cant see any pictures; is there a link here or am I missing something?

Thanks for sharing the photos mate, pleased you're happy with your brakes/service... :)

Thanks for the comments :smile5:

Actives service was excellent as usual. I also have pictures of the red HT leads he supplied in my photo gallery.

The pictures not being displayed appears to only affect non registered members, due to them not having access to 'members profiles' and 'photo albums' which i have taken the pictures from.

Next I'll probably be looking into designing some type of rear Brake modification.
From what I have seen there is no easy way to do it but I’ll keep a lookout for cheap rear hub assembly’s for MK2 and MK3 Mondeo so I have something to work with.

As for the Gearbox product, ill be going to Florida soon so ill be taking a spare suitcase and paying BAT a visit to get all of the other bits required to upgrade a gearbox :smilewinkgrin:

Thanks for the comments :smile5:

Actives service was excellent as usual. I also have pictures of the red HT leads he supplied in my photo gallery.

The pictures not being displayed appears to only affect non registered members, due to them not having access to 'members profiles' and 'photo albums' which i have taken the pictures from.

Next I'll probably be looking into designing some type of rear Brake modification.
From what I have seen there is no easy way to do it but IÔÇÖll keep a lookout for cheap rear hub assemblyÔÇÖs for MK2 and MK3 Mondeo so I have something to work with.

As for the Gearbox product, ill be going to Florida soon so ill be taking a spare suitcase and paying BAT a visit to get all of the other bits required to upgrade a gearbox :smilewinkgrin:

Sounds good (y)
I wonder if its possible to put the old front calipers and discs on the back. You will still have bigger brakes on the front... but you will probably need some mountings made up.