the mtx75 gearbox..how it works.

shirtyzeus

Club Member
Aug 29, 2013
eaton socon
ive always been a bit afraid of stripping down gearboxes, always seemed way more complex to me than an engine.
however ive got an upcoming project for suzi next year which needs me to get confident and learn some of the do's and don'ts with taking apart a gearbox..
this guy is one of those types that knows what he's doing yet explains it so well i retained his info really well..
this is just one of three vids explaining about stripping and reassembly of the mtx75 and he's using a bad box and explains what's gone wrong with it..
i knew roughly how a synchronizer ring worked but had no ideas about "blocker rings"
only watch if u have the time and are interested in gearboxes...

I have a spare MTX75 here if you want to have a play. It hasn't turned a cog in ten years (and probably never will) so you're welcome to have at it.

Reactions: shirtyzeus
I have a spare MTX75 here if you want to have a play. It hasn't turned a cog in ten years (and probably never will) so you're welcome to have at it.
thanks mate, i might just take u up on that.
this will sound like a strange question but what type of speed sensor does it have on it?
ive been doing some reading up and there are a lot of different types of speed sensor fitted to the mtx box..
ive got a mondeo st24 one in the garage and that has a magnetic pick up type yet our v6 cougs (excluding the auto box)have a hall type..
and ive even found out that the zetec cougs have a mag type same as the auto...
even worst the mk3 mondeo has no gearbox speed sensor as it gets a reading from the abs module....freeking great!

this conversion is going to be complicated:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Mako and TopCat1127
Have at it, Paul.

It's not Hall-effect - it's a mechanical one. I actually don't think I've ever seen a Cougar with any other type, but I've only worked on about maybe five of six of them where I've had to go near it.

Iā€™ve never understood gear boxes, Generally I consider them to be black magic. Autos even more so.

Iā€™ve never done more than take the top off at the gear lever, that was enough. Although surprising myself just that and replacing a couple of springs and ball bearing got the gear lever working better on my Triumph ( I think )

I doubt Iā€™ll ever pull one apart now. The experts were not that expensive when I called on them, but it was a long time ago.

The gearbox on my old Capri 1.6S went wrong, so I replaced it with a reconned unit. That turned out to have a slightly dodgy synchro on 1st / 2nd. We lived with it for a couple of years and then, one winter we had a lot of flood water. After one particularly bad drowning, it started to work perfectly. This remained the case until the clutch went. So, whilst changing the clutch, I decided to have a nose in the top. It was full of oil and - white sludge. A bit like accumulates under an oil fill on an older engine.

I realised that what had happened was the gearbox had been warm and driven into deep water, which cooled the air space inside and cooled it. That had quickly sucked water in thru the breather hole. There was no rust anywhere or sediment in the bottom, just lots of white sludge. So, like a twit I cleaned it all up with paraffin, blew it dry and refilled with nice, fresh, gearbox oil.

You've guessed it, the old problem came back immediately. There is an expression I'm sure you all know - 'If it's not broken, don't f*@# with it'. Lesson learned....

Generally I consider them to be black magic. Autos even more so.

Or a literal black box. On the two occasions I've had a problem (both ZF CVTs) I've just replaced them.

I did pull one of those CVTs apart though, just to see what was going on. I am none the wiser. I just got covered in bits of belt, rubber, and an oil that made me smelly for a few weeks.

Never again.

• Haha
i will be doing a write up about what im doing to suzi later next year(i need warm weather to do anything nowdays).
so at the mo im building up the parts im gonna need and preparing the gearbox ive acquired.
my research so far suggest this is whats needed.

cables and gear shift.
starter motor.
mk3 gbox roll mounts.
st220 dmf to smf conversion clutch kit.
a magneto type speed sensor(this im gonna have to experiment with to see how the cougar ECU accepts it.
clutch master to slave connection pipe ,has different ends....damn u ford:LOL:

the MMT gearboxes have A LOT of differences but nothing that cannot be modified and made to fit, but so far the biggest challenges i can see are the gearbox roll mounts and the speedo drive... in fact the speedo drive issue or lack of one has stopped a lot of people on the ford sites from doing this mod.

Thanks for posting the videos, I shall be watching these with interest.

A friend of mine, a really slight fellow, has this massive Honda Gold Wing - its hard to imagine, but true. Anyway, it is at least 20 years old and the speedo would stop working after she warmed up. So I took a look and it had a module on the front wheel. This turned out to contain a hall effect sensor driven by a magnetic wheel with 4 poles. No way was this part still available new and the only scrap ones were hundreds of dollars in the US.

The original Honda part had a proprietory hall sensor cum chip in it. That had lost its sensitivity over the years, a bit like LEDs / opto sensors do. I couldn't get any more gain out of it, so replaced it with another hall sensor and other simple components. It turned out that the hall sensor also had to be a very specific type. I didn't previously know that there was more than one class of them.

Anyway, it worked ! See the repaired unit below - scratch marks show how much trouble it was to get thru the original conformal coating. The 2nd pic is it being repotted after testing. As far as I know, it's still working. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know...

20210504_121959.jpg

20210509_200847.jpg

I think the Cougar MTX75 speed sensor is both mechanical and electrical.

Internally, one of these:
IMG_2623.jpeg

is driven by the gear ring detailed by Chris above.

The external electrical sensor, the changing of which is detailed here:

interfaces with the square hole in the end of the plastic gear in much the same way mechanical speedo cables do/did.

The sensor for the auto box looks like this:

IMG_2626.jpeg

Last edited:
yep..
here some pictures of my dilema.. pls ignore the bell housing types as these pics are of the internet.
our good ol coug mtx75 box with the gear type(hall) sensor which has 3 wires.
mtxcoug box.jpeg

the mondeo st24 type with a magnetic pulse type sensor ,there is no gear on the diff in these just a pulse ring like the crank has.
its also in a totally different position.
mtx75 mag sensor.jpg

and the mmt 6speed i intend to fit, it has the mount for the pulse but its blanked off, i dont know yet if the pulse ring is on the diff or if the 5 speed one will even fit it yet.
mmt6speed.jpg

now im not worried about it being blanked off, i can soon mill out a hole and shove a sensor in it.
even putting a pulse ring on the diff isnt worrying me too much....my spare mondeo box has one i can rip out.
my worry is will the ecu run off the mag type pulse sensor as its also only 2 wires .

so ive researched the difference in hall effect(what the coug has) and the mag types sensors(mondeo)

the hall effect version uses a gear to spin a multi pole magnet, the 3 wires used are a ground and 12+ as these need a power supply to work and the pulse wire....they send out a square wave signal pulse.(like digital...on or off)

the magneto version has only 2 wires.
a ground and the pulse wire as it generates its own pulse from magnetic movement instead of switching a 12v+ on and off like the hall one
the problem is the wave it produces is like a sine wave NOT a pulse (as the magnet moves past the sensor it generates a voltage which increases and then decreases with each pass...analoge)
now i may be worrying about nothing BUT if the ecu wont recognise the wave im in for deeep trouble as there is simply no way the hall type sensor will fit in the 6 speed housing.

in fact if this don't go right i may end up having to MAKE my own type of hall effect sensor and run it (somehow) off one of the abs rings ,and at the same time trying to keep the speed accurate.

like chris said......im a maniac :ROFLMAO:
Post automatically merged:

im hoping the cougar auto box which DOES have the mag type as andy shows above will mean that the manual ecu will accept it.
Post automatically merged:

I think the Cougar MTX75 speed sensor is both mechanical and electrical.

Internally, one of these:
View attachment 26156

is driven by the gear ring detailed by Chris above.

The external electrical sensor, the changing of which is detailed here:

interfaces with the square hole in the end of the plastic gear in much the same way mechanical speedo cables do/did.

The sensor for the auto box looks like this:

View attachment 26159
a question for u andy, i think u have the wire diagram's for our cougs?

i know that the(pulse) wiring for the sensor goes to the ecu but is the auto's pulse wire going to the same place on the ecu as the manuals?
just wondering if their is a different input on the ecu for the different sensor types.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quicksilver