Timing chain or belt?

Come 2012, the year of some unknown holocaust that will wreak total destruction of all known life on this planet, as we know it................& far beyond, to a time when humanity exists aboard distant spacecraft & have colonised or terraformed distant planets...............................the chain on your coog should still be fine bud.(y)

yeah man, put me down for 10grams of that Sabby Baby

its a chain.. It is an inverted tooth design so as the chain and pulleys wear the chain sits lower in the teeth. It will get to a point where it does break but that is normally on very high mile engines.

More than 94 k high??
As Al/Pid_16V said in his earlier post Adam, the chain should last as long as the car, which I believe would be the best part of 200k miles on a Duratec, provided it is serviced at regular intervals & everything kept topped up & looked after. Even then, the high mileage cars I've seen sold on, are being sold with problems other than the chain.

Nothing last forever with cars, but at 94k, I would stick my neck out & say the drive chain is the least of your worries mate.(y)

I don't know if you've grasped this yet, soooooooooooo.............................

THE CHAIN SHOULD OUTLAST THE CAR!!!!

unless you're extremely unlucky or abuse it :LOL: :)

I heard that the law will be changing in the next few years and ALL engines will be required to be chain driven

I heard that the law will be changing in the next few years and ALL engines will be required to be chain driven

Thank god for that. I can't see any sense in having a belt that requires changing, usually at great expense given the labour involved simply to get at it, every 70,000 or so miles and will invariably cause the death of the engine if it fails when you can have a chain doing the same job that will last the life of the car. I imagine it comes down to manufacturing costs, but it ends up costing the consumer a huge amount. Most well maintained cars these days will last long enough to need the cam belt changing at least twice. Taking my old Laguna as an example, it was a £600 job. £1200 to change a £30 belt a couple of times? Madness. Our Fiesta is going to need a cambelt on it's next service and I'm dreading the quote.

Not all chain driven cams are good the small later corsa rattles it's tators off after 40,000 miles. The 2.2 vauxhall engines do chains regularily if you saw the chains you would understand why!. I,ve seen stronger pushbike chains.

I thought that was just pushbikes Gaz..............:)

Wheres me coat....................................................:(

Technically that’s not the engine :cautious: That would be the gearbox :LOL:

Its just a rumour I heard at a training day I was at. If their not going to make them all chains then the manufactures should at least make all engines non-interference type like my little mazda. If my belt snaps there’s no chance of a valve hitting a piston :)

Not all chain driven cams are good the small later corsa rattles it's tators off after 40,000 miles. The 2.2 vauxhall engines do chains regularily if you saw the chains you would understand why!. I,ve seen stronger pushbike chains.

Have you ever driven a 1.3 fiesta with the endura engine? After 60-70k they all sound like diesels and go through more oil and fuel!

I do agree with the chain drive. My Sierra 2.oltr was chain driven as were the Grandads, never any trouble with any of mine, but changing a cambelt doesn't bother me either. I appreciate not everybody has either the time/knowhow or inclination for renewing one. It is imo an unecesary expense we could do without.

Have you ever driven a 1.3 fiesta with the endura engine? After 60-70k they all sound like diesels and go through more oil and fuel!

That's cos they never get serviced and most mechs today wouldn't know how to adjust tappits. That is part of the annual service for a pushrod engine!