Tinted Lights

P

pathtogo

I decided to spray my rear lights i wanted to do them black but was told i would get pulled all the time if i didnt have reflectors showing. So i used the red spray instead and didnt tint the recflector

Standard
Photo-0002.jpg

Sprayed
Photo-0173.jpg

Close up
Photo-0175.jpg
[/img]

yer i think i looks better than it did, still would like black tint. But the Old bill are really hot in my area. I am getting the boot sprayed as i am removing the wiper and filling that hole as well also gettin the front bumper done as well. I got to sort out the 02 sensors first.

What colour do your indicators and reversing lighs now shine?
I hope I'm wrong but if the police in your area are hot on this kind of thing your problems could be about to begin.

They do look good tho'.

Reversing lights will be 'pink' & the indicators a funny sort of orangy, reddy kinda colour,
I think you'd have been better off with a 'light smoke' tint, but each to there
own as the saying goes :wink:

Police pull anyone for anything round here and will fully blacked out rear lights covering the reflectors not one pull ever and passed two MOTS with no reflectors.

As long as you do not go stupidly dark you'll not have a problem.

Looks like a good job done on those! 8)

Update on the Indicator and Reversing lights-give a better idea of the colours after tinting

Indicator- hard to catch on camera- Is a bit brighter

Photo-0181.jpg

Reversing

Photo-0182.jpg

Both

Photo-0186.jpg

These pictures are with the sun and on a mobile phone cam, but you get the idea that the colours stay after tinting.

Hey i really like that!!! Thats exactly what i want to do to mine! :LOL: Looks great! Have you done something to it to make it look glossy? In the first pic it looks like a matt or satin finish, but then the later pics it looks shiny?

really good job!

To make it glossy, i used a guide from someone on here who smoked there's black and wrote a quick guide on how to make them glossy. But basically after you have tinted them and lacquered them you work through the sandpaper and have to remove all the lumps and bumps-mine still anit compeltely flat. The best way if you want to do it, is search for rear light tinting and its one of the posts in there with the guide.

pathtogo said:
was told i would get pulled all the time if i didnt have reflectors showing.

i remember someone else on here saying something about that.. esp re. the prob of MOT without reflectors.. i believe they got round it by simply buying 2 small rectangular reflectors and sticking them either side of the rear number plate... :) :wink:

as for the old bill pulling u re. tinting your lights, do you/anybody know what the actual law is re. how bright your tail/brake/reversing lights have to be before they are deemed out of limits?? or is it simply a case of 'legally' u cant tint them at all???

How did you go about masking the lights?

Did you spray the bulges only?

Looks great though.

Do you fancy coming to Bristol to do mine? :LOL: :LOL:

Ian

My exhaust was put that low as the fitter said thats the only place he could fit it, i havent had problems with it hitting anything but my car hasnt gone lower yet. I like the look most of the time but am concerned over bumps. To do the lights- i masked just the reflector part off when using the tinting spray as that could affect the reflector. Then laquaered the whole unit to get the shine.

pathtogo said:
My exhaust was put that low as the fitter said thats the only place he could fit it, i havent had problems with it hitting anything but my car hasnt gone lower yet. I like the look most of the time but am concerned over bumps. To do the lights- i masked just the reflector part off when using the tinting spray as that could affect the reflector. Then laquaered the whole unit to get the shine.

I was gonna smoke mine - but seeing that in red - definitely the way to go. Where can I get the product you used from?? I take it its just a red clear coat paintspray....

Well done that man!

Cossie

Just thought I would post up a picture of mine...

DSCF0031.jpg

Done in candy black by Twisted Vision. Excellent job, one of my favourite mods! They are just as shiney and glossy as the bodywork, nice deep blood red 8)

I think this is the best way to go as it look completely proffessional and like it was done in the factory. Plus when the lights are illuminated, they look exactly the same as before, just as bright, just as white and orange :wink:

Carl,

How much did that cost you for the candy black spray?
I'm thinking I wanna go this way!