WARNING: Gray v yellow traffic light cameras.

mofo sob

Well-known user
Dec 29, 2008
manchester
Probably just me being really thick but I'd never even realised that there were two different colours for traffic light cameras :geek:.

To my horror a NIP landed on my door mat a few weeks ago accusing me of speeding. I have speed camera alert on my sat nav which also shows traffic light cameras - which, up until now, I tended to ignore if the lights were on green but it was one of these cameras that got me :eek:

I managed to avoid points by going on a speed awareness course :( where it was pointed out to me that the original GRAY ATS cameras only detect red light infringements whilst the newer YELLOW cameras also do speed - even when the lights are on green :oops:

So - if you didn't know - you do now.................and, BTW Mark - that one at the lights between your house and the 666 that I just went screaming through in the fourby is.........................YELLOW :eek:

Last edited:
I always look for the white markers painted on the road as this also tells you its a speed camera and not just a traffic light camera, I think they use the lines to measure your speed as a back up incase you try to argue that the camera is faulty.

Hasn't it been standard from day one that any speed detecting device that was static fitted had to have a yellow reflector/covering/paint somewhere to define them? Same as on the blue Truvelo's etc. Anything that is grey just detects a violation i.e: jumping a red light, but anything with yellow is a speed detection camera. You being a brief and what not Iain, thought you'd have known that?? :censored:

o - if you didn't know - you do now.................and, BTW Mark - that one at the lights between your house and the 666 that I just went screaming through in the fourby is.........................YELLOW :eek:

I shall be going through these myself tomorrow so I promise I won't leather it!!!o_O:devilish::devilish::devilish:;)!

o - if you didn't know - you do now.................and, BTW Mark - that one at the lights between your house and the 666 that I just went screaming through in the fourby is.........................YELLOW :eek:

I shall be going through these myself tomorrow so I promise I won't leather it!!!o_O:devilish::devilish::devilish:;)!

Touche mon ami - touche :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hasn't it been standard from day one that any speed detecting device that was static fitted had to have a yellow reflector/covering/paint somewhere to define them? Same as on the blue Truvelo's etc. Anything that is grey just detects a violation i.e: jumping a red light, but anything with yellow is a speed detection camera. You being a brief and what not Iain, thought you'd have known that?? :censored:

I think all the gatsos round here are just grey - we don't have any yellow cameras round here. Will have to have a look at them to see if they have a reflector on them but AFAIK they're just grey

I think all the gatsos round here are just grey - we don't have any yellow cameras round here. Will have to have a look at them to see if they have a reflector on them but AFAIK they're just grey

GATSO's that are in working order should have a High Vis panel and there should be speed camera signs atleast half a mile before the camera, if the ones by you are just grey then they should not be in use

GATSO's that are in working order should have a High Vis panel and there should be speed camera signs atleast half a mile before the camera, if the ones by you are just grey then they should not be in use

I'm afraid that this source disagrees.

Up until April 2007 all speed cameras in the UK had to have the rear pannel painted yellow to identify the whereabouts of it, however, since the new rules came into play in April 2007, it ceases to be an obligation
There also used to be legislation which stated that if the local police force took a profit from the cameras, (rather than it going to the Treasury) then the cameras had to be visible. The intent was that it stopped profiteering from installing hidden cameras just after a speed limit change. This godawful mess of a site alludes to it though it's not clear if it still applies.

Please note that I am not partisan in this (potentially very emotive) discussion. I'm not promoting an opinion either way on speeding or the enforcement of it. I'm not a kid, but I'm also not a fascist, so you can make of that what you like! :beer:

I only really speed on motorways, sorry, private test tracks and if there were any cameras there my satnav would warn me of mobile camera sites :angel:

I tend not to worry about camera's. It's the BLACK AUDI's with blue dashes that scare the hell out of me :eek:

Yeh, but all you do is smile politely, give them a bit of verbal and drive away after telling Mr Plod what an "idiot" (being polite) he has been!! lol