What is it about the Cougar.......

marksmith

Forum user
May 18, 2011
High Wycombe
What is it that everyone on here likes most about the Cougar ?

For me its purely down to the looks - its mean and aggressive front end looks so cool !

I wanted one the first time I saw one, did not matter to me how fast it was, or how comfortable it was, or reliabilty or ecomony, I wanted one no matter what just becasue of the way it looks.

What was it about the Cougar that got everyone else on here loving them ?

I like the relative exclusivity of ownership. By that I mean that there aren't many about, I know that virtually anybody can buy one in various states for varied prices but there aren't many, I think that the standard rear end is a bit ugly tbh but the front is very feline and once lowered, looks very business like and agressive.

as rich says, the fact that there are not too many, for a 10 year old car it still looks good, and occasionally i still get people asking what type of car it is,

as rich says, the fact that there are not too many, for a 10 year old car it still looks good, and occasionally i still get people asking what type of car it is,

I find that people mistake mine for a mitsubishi with the no limits style grille, I saw the ground workers surveying it yesterday at work, one was for mitsubishi, the other guessed it was a cougar but I suspect that the front plate gave him a clue.

The shape of it has a very low, long and sporty feel, like a proper coupe' should. But at the same time it has a clumsy elegance, like a sportscar drawn on graph paper by a well-meaning degree-level design student. I can't help be charmed by that first stab at Ford "Edge Design".

The car it's mechanically based on is reliable, predictable and very driver-friendly. It runs forever and the engine has proved to be long-lasting and incredibly versatile, and it doesn't slap you on the wrist every time you get a gear change wrong.

For me, there's nothing more to ask for. I love it and I wouldn't change it for ten of the other cars I was looking at, unless it was to sell them all and buy the Cougar I now have, and pocket the change.

I think I'd swap it for an S2000, if it's practical I'll have both after next year. I've poured a tidy sum into the cougar and once the subframe is sorted, and Nick and mark have installed the suspension upgrades, it should handle as good as any car on here.

Slightly less serious answer:

Does anyone remember the first time they sat in their Coug and closed the door? I do. That big chunky door handle really impressed me. It shouted "BIG SOLID MOTOR".

Stupid I know, but I still feel it.

Since i first saw one in front of me on the road in about 1999, i followed it for 3 miles, i'd been chasing one ever since, right up untill i bought mine 6 years ago.
I knew it had the basis of a tried and tested mondy platform/running gear etc, so that helped me along, but it was the instant surge of....(no i can't say that in this section can i!) :eek: the "look" was always the thing :)

For me its the looks and the entertainment value lol from working on it to owning it, parking it somewhere and watching Joe public trying to suss out wtf it is lol, and the fact i can make it mine, from the stripes to the lpg, most of it is my own work in changing it from standard lol and no i'm not in the 'anti standard' brigade haha each to their own i say, but 'Stripes' is all mine lol

Yes, it was the looks of the car and the exclusitivity of it that attracted me. I had seen so few of them I knew I wanted it without even giving it a test drive. When I sat in it without even starting up I said to myself 'It's mine!' :):):)

It was the car that i could not afford to insure when I bought my second car in 1998. Lusted after one ever since.

Always found reasons not to buy one, then I did.....and the story began

For me it was when i was working and living in london in the 90s and waiting at trafic lights on top of baker street in my orion ghia/inj and one pulled up and a rather hefty gent looked over at me grinned as to say look what i got and left me drooling a bit (before the comments,,THE CARS STANCE AND FINE LINES) then saw the advert on tv and then (boom)the price tag way outa my pocket range so waited a long time untill my pocket was full enough and prices dropped to buy a frosty ,I never strayed for the blue oval and cant see it happening

The £650 price tag, 3 doors, V6, driving position and the cheap insurance from it not being badged ST24!

The £650 price tag, 3 doors, V6, driving position and the cheap insurance from it not being badged ST24!

If you use the comparison sites alot of them have it as a hatchback as opposed to a coupe so that lowers the insurance too. Also noticed on some of them that they don't class it as a V6 but rather a 24v (I know its the same lol). Dont know if that would also lower the quotes??

If you use the comparison sites alot of them have it as a hatchback as opposed to a coupe so that lowers the insurance too. Also noticed on some of them that they don't class it as a V6 but rather a 24v (I know its the same lol). Dont know if that would also lower the quotes??

I'm an insurance broker mate, so I won't be using comparison sites any time soon!

The lines, the style and X pack gizmo's always had me looking at Cougars especially after I sold 'Bonnie'..... finally I couldn't resist and will be jumping on a train sometime soon to pick my latest acquisition from Sheffield ;) Blurple of course ...

I never went out looking for a cougar, I had a clio and had always had small family cars, economical, cheap to insure etc etc, so once all the kids had left home and I had a better disposable income, decided to have something a bit more self indulgent, looked at various cars, Puma, Hyundai coupe, 205 gti, calibra even a probe, I had seen a lovely black cougar at wells turbo centre in Batley but they wanted £12k for it, eventually saw the blurple zetec in the Lexus garage in Newcastle, it was £8k and immaculate, had it for 18 months and traded it in for the V6 auto,Which was £9.5k, Had that for over 6 years now, it has been a reliable car .. can`t knock it .. just starting to look its age and a bit dated now.

I'd previously owned 3 Mondeo Si's the last one being a V6, and whilst I loved the handling, and power I wanted something that stood out a bit more than the Mondeo, so the Cougar seemed the logical choice.