1999 Mercury Cougar 3L Turbo

Sabre Tooth

Well-known user
Oct 7, 2009
Leicester
I found this all rather interesting, haven't got a clue what the hell is going on there, with all those pipes going every which way under the hood o_Olol, but I'm sure someone on here will know all about it.(y)
IMG_0294.jpg

img_0406.jpg

img_1568.jpg

img_1569.jpg

img_1570.jpg

img_1571.jpg

img_1572.jpg

img_1573.jpg

img_1574.jpg

2007_Dyno_Run_5.jpg

NOW CHECK THIS! :cool:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZ-s7s27Sk

Preliminary dyno runs in 1999 Turbo 3L Mercury Cougar. The turbo is a Precision SC-61 and the turbo kit is home made using a TiAL 50mm BOV and TiAL 38mm wastegate and all 304SS tubing.

Here's the list of parts he used (bear in mind this is from USA), which I believe are currently for sale on NECO(y) :
Precision SC-61 turbo
TiAL 38mm Wastegate
TiAL 50mm BOV
AEM TrueBoost Electronic Boost Controller
AEM HEGO wideband sensor & controller
Central gauge pod to replace 2 center HVAC vents
Combined AEM gauges In dash setup
304ss 16 gauge hot & cold side tubing (includes following)
- Stainless Steel T-Bolt coupler bands
- 4 ply silicone couplers (black)
- 2.5" up-pipe after the 2 bank merge collector
- 3" down-pipe
- 3" exhaust with Magnaflow center muffler
- 3" Magnaflow resonator behind 4" exhaust tip
3" In/Out HUGE intercooler
Walbro 255gph fuel pump
Ford Racing 42# injectors (set of 8)
Ford Lightning 80mm MAF w/AEM dry flow filter
ECU, Key & PATS ring with XCal-2 (comes with 2 tunes, naturally aspirated & boosted, both take 80mm Lightning MAF & 42# injectors into account)

Most of what you see in the pics is the intercooler pipes. You can only guess at how fast that thing is, Paul's 2.5 supercharged car was said to be frighteningly quick.

Pauls car was silly quick!! Pulled away from me on the M1 whilst doing XXXmph like I was going in reverse!! Whilst the work on that 3L pictured is impressive, if I'd gone to that effort, if have at least got someone that can seam weld neatly to finish my pipework. Spoils it a little for my liking. Top job tho ;)

Pauls car was silly quick!! Pulled away from me on the M1 whilst doing XXXmph like I was going in reverse!! Whilst the work on that 3L pictured is impressive, if I'd gone to that effort, if have at least got someone that can seam weld neatly to finish my pipework. Spoils it a little for my liking. Top job tho ;)
LOL.............I thought exactly the same thing kully, but didn't say anything cos I don't know enough about it, but the welding does let the whole thing down a bit, I agree.(y)

the fact that it couldnt sit stationary affects that car as well!! it suffered from awful overheating all the time..

Here's the list of parts he used (bear in mind this is from USA), which I believe are currently for sale on NECO(y) :
Precision SC-61 turbo
TiAL 38mm Wastegate
TiAL 50mm BOV
AEM TrueBoost Electronic Boost Controller
AEM HEGO wideband sensor & controller
Central gauge pod to replace 2 center HVAC vents
Combined AEM gauges In dash setup
304ss 16 gauge hot & cold side tubing (includes following)
- Stainless Steel T-Bolt coupler bands
- 4 ply silicone couplers (black)
- 2.5" up-pipe after the 2 bank merge collector
- 3" down-pipe
- 3" exhaust with Magnaflow center muffler
- 3" Magnaflow resonator behind 4" exhaust tip
3" In/Out HUGE intercooler
Walbro 255gph fuel pump
Ford Racing 42# injectors (set of 8)
Ford Lightning 80mm MAF w/AEM dry flow filter
ECU, Key & PATS ring with XCal-2 (comes with 2 tunes, naturally aspirated & boosted, both take 80mm Lightning MAF & 42# injectors into account)

Potentially Dumb Question time: Why 8 injectors, if the engine is still a V6?

You add fuel into the air flow before more fuel is added in the cylinder.. its a way of increasing fuel ratios without maxing injectors out

In this case though I would suggest he bought a set destined to go in an american V8

Excellent work, though I notice he's removed his IMRC, so he's gonna suffer from a lack of low down torque.:oops::oops::oops::bomb:

I liked it all except the turbo is a little too big for the engine and the quality of the job is let down by sawing a hole out of the front bumper bar so there's zero minor impact protection at the front end now. Someone bumping it in the car park will do chassis damage.

Steve, IMRC type stuff is only relevant on naturally aspirated cars. If it's forced inducted then the less in the way the better.

It's impressive work, but off the dragstrip I strongly suspect a slightly smaller turbo would greatly improve those curves posted up. As it is, that engine is pretty bogged down below 4000rpm. Good effort though! Wonder what compression ratio and pistons he's using. That's a lot of boost he's got on tap there!

I liked it all except the turbo is a little too big for the engine and the quality of the job is let down by sawing a hole out of the front bumper bar so there's zero minor impact protection at the front end now. Someone bumping it in the car park will do chassis damage.

Steve, IMRC type stuff is only relevant on naturally aspirated cars. If it's forced inducted then the less in the way the better.

It's impressive work, but off the dragstrip I strongly suspect a slightly smaller turbo would greatly improve those curves posted up. As it is, that engine is pretty bogged down below 4000rpm. Good effort though! Wonder what compression ratio and pistons he's using. That's a lot of boost he's got on tap there!

Yeah Jamie, with that set up I'm sure he'd have no worries, I was just being sarcastic. (I know, it's the lowest form of humour :censored:)

I feel that this is all about speed rather than looks, I would not give a dam about the way it looks to be honest when he is pushing out that much BHP. It is all very interesting anyhow.

It's an interesting way of doing it but the turbo over the top of the gearbox will cause hell with heat issues.

I would care you can have looks AND speed.

JJ
Yes you can if you are willing to put the extra time and money into it. I guess he just wanted to get this beast on the road first. Very exciting car and I do not blaim him for the way it looks at all.

Almost 400hp through the front wheels?

I think that much power would only be good in a straight line, surely? A very little throttle needed or low revs for the corners.

I probably would spend that much money on an RX7 (and maybe a cougar body kit ;)) and then you can have none, single or twin turbo.

I would care you can have looks AND speed.

JJ

I've often wondered if that's why scoobys are so fast, so nobody can see how ugly they are.:bomb::bomb::bomb:

Now I'm going incognito before the Robbo triplets come for me!!:LOL::LOL::LOL: