4th time lucky?

Kit-2000

Club Member
Apr 1, 2021
Selby
Hi everyone, I've been a member of this club on and off for many years. I purchased my first Cougar (99' T reg 2.0 in Melina Blue) back in 2003 (ish). I was young and it was ace, that was until I parked it on its roof at 60mph.

A couple of years later I found a 2.5 C2 in black, loved it, someone T-boned me, another write off.

In 2010/11 I had a brief affair with another 2.5 C2 in black, sadly it was a lemon and I traded it after a few months of ownership.

Since then I've sat looking at Cougars come and go, pointing them out to whoever was with me when I've seen one (home or abroad) and then I happened to be doing my daily eBay checks last week when I saw a 2.5 C2 in Silver come up. It looked tidy, description read well and I thought, its been a while, go for it.

So I'm now back to the club as the owner of SY51GRU. Its a really tidy car with (seemingly) just a couple of things to sort out. I spent Sunday trying to sort out the mess someone has made of the dash panel by literally ripping out the surround to fit a crappy Pioneer stereo. It's not as it should be but looks ok, the problem with a C2 is the rarity of parts but I suppose that's a growing issue for all owners. I still cant believe this is a 21 year old car, I must be getting old!

Anyways, pics will come and its great to be back :)s-l1600.jpg

Welcome back to cougar ownership, looks a very tidy car...... (y)
Thanks, I'm sure I'll uncover some work once I get through the layers of Hammerite the previous owner plastered all over the car :unsure:. Oh and the oil soaked sponges in the rear subframe!

Is it, spot the previous enthusiast upgrades?
Bumper corner protectors, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters, colour-keyed number-plate surround and US Cougar grille.

Reactions: Kit-2000
Is it, spot the previous enthusiast upgrades?
Bumper corner protectors, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters, colour-keyed number-plate surround and US Cougar grille.
The corner protectors are off! bloody horrible things with the stickiest tape in the world. They reminded me of boot lace ties :)

I used to have a C2 US grille but must have sold it, this one is cut down but still looks the part. The other upgrades can stay ;)

Reactions: Mako and nvingo
In my humble opinion and many years of experience Hammerite on the underside is better than under seal / stonechip.
These cats are rotting from the inside out. Underseal hides minor problems until they are big problems. With Hammerite a yearly pre MOT visual will spot and bubbling that signifies rust appearing when it is relatively minor and treatable.
Oil filled sponges on the rear subby is a new one on me. Cant do any harm to the car but maybe not vey motorcycle friendly if it’s drippy.

Nice Car, welcome back. :)

Reactions: Kit-2000
Previous owner and member? Previous forum name?

Welcome back btw, looks tidy that
I’ve always kept the same forum name. I was looking for the only club event I’ve managed to attend today. Seems it was the Harewood show but in 2006. Had a C2 since then but was barely road worthy let alone show worthy!
Post automatically merged:

In my humble opinion and many years of experience Hammerite on the underside is better than under seal / stonechip.
These cats are rotting from the inside out. Underseal hides minor problems until they are big problems. With Hammerite a yearly pre MOT visual will spot and bubbling that signifies rust appearing when it is relatively minor and treatable.
Oil filled sponges on the rear subby is a new one on me. Cant do any harm to the car but maybe not vey motorcycle friendly if it’s drippy.

Nice Car, welcome back. :)
Understand and agree with the hammerite, just be painted the exhaust and rocker cover in the stuff too so a bit smelly! I don’t get the sponges, fortunately, they don’t appear to be dripping anymore 😅

Reactions: TopCat1127
They were probably hosted at the (very) old club site, or Photobucket. We've lotst a lot of pics that way, and I know Andy has been encouraging people to replace them with originals if they still have them.

Anyway, a warm welcome back! You seem to have had terrible luck, so I hope that this one is a princess. What are the niggles that you've got?

Also, I'm confused about the subframe sponges. Not something I've ever seen before, but I've only ever worked on two C2s, and that wasn't at the rear end.