Al's Wish.

I can understand what people mean that they feel like vultures but it was Als wishes that this happened and is a mark of the man. If a donation is given as per his wishes I don't think anyone should feel guilty.
Andy you are in a tough situation but only carrying out Al's wishes and I can only try to imagine how hard this is for you.

Ref post 18, That will never be true Quicksilver.
I understand the view point that guys don’t want to take advantage of Al, his equipment or his family. It’s a difficult puzzle to solve.
He offered his press for sale not so long ago, at the time I thought it was sad for him to be doing that. I’ve always fancied a press but in reality it would have minimal use and take up space which is scarce in my garage.
It’s a long trip for me so I won’t be visiting Pids Cave at the moment.
Would a list of kit work for anything not sold to those who do visit. sealed bids or something along those lines or maybe an open auction, whatever it takes to give maximum value and achieve his wish.

Its a horrible situation that we all wished hadn't happened but as has already been said and knowing Al he would be happy knowing his stuff would stay in the club and would help the members and friends he's made over the years.

I can't thank Andy enough for everything he is doing to make it easier for Al's family in what is already a devastating time.

We can keep all of his stuff going to keep his memory alive everytime his car turns up to a meet or a part from his collection keeps another cougar on the road.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

A good point backseateducation, very valid and needed to be said, clearing a property in this manner is difficult for all involved.

Reactions: poose
Please don't think of this in terms of magpies or vultures. I know exactly how you feel, I have experienced the same emotions when relatives have passed and the family then clears the house, but it really isn't the case here.

Al's second to last ever post on this forum was in the admin and mod section on 31 Oct. He was acutely aware of the risk of his operation and, in typical pragmatic Al fashion, articulated his final wishes in case they became necessary. I'm fighting back tears even quoting this, knowing that Al typed it, but I'm doing so in the hope that it will illustrate that us, as a club and as Al's friends, attending his house and helping to clear his effects is absolutely what he wanted.

By doing this we will not only be helping Al's family - his house was rented and, whilst they are continuing to pay that rent to allow time for his effects to be cleared, the house does eventually need to be handed back, we will also be raising money towards his funeral expenses but, most importantly of all, we will be honouring a specific request made by the man himself.

Al gave an immeasurable amount to this club and asked very little. The post below, and one other thing which I will raise at another time, were pretty much Al's dying wishes. Please, I beg of you, find it in your hearts to do this one thing for a man who did so much for us all.

For complexities I either don't understand or want to try to explain, this has become oh so serious. Facts of life are staring at me and it doesn't look good. In fact the odds of me coming out of this are so low I'm trying to cobble together my last will etc.
Of course I am fighting this all the way with no fear but, contingencies have to be made so due to that, I've tried to come up with some suggestions to try and pass some of my stuff onto the club or club members individually.
I intend (if agreeable) to pass my brothers number to Andy for contact and hopefully arrange for as many of you guys to attend a Pidcave clearance.
Likewise, in the event of my passing, I would like to pass Andy's number to my brother for contact re funeral arrangements etc. Seems very strange but you know you will all be very welcome.
As for DG? Well I really don't know. I suppose she'll just have to go to the highest bidder.
For tools etc in the cave I would expect my brother to accept donations which I have yet to decide but probably BHF.
There are also two sheds full of cougar parts as well as more domestic gardening stuff.
Now, all being well, I will look at this load of drivel next week and think "What a plonka"

Thanks Rich.
If we can find the time over the weekend Rich and I will endeavour to post a list on here of what is available but it makes it far easier all round if items could be collected at Al's rather than having to be transported away from there and then re-distributed at a later date at another place.

Reactions: mabo and Everton
Thanks Tony.
I think what we mainly need is on-going storage space. I'm hoping to borrow a trailer to bring some of the parts back here to the forum stash but if we could possibly arrange somewhere else, even as a temp. measure, and you could provide a van to get it there that would be a real bonus. (y)

I'm not exactly close but my mum has a couple of empty sheds that stuff could go in if there was any way of getting it here and would be no rush to move it.
I don't know what is being planned with Als car in the short term but again I have room to store it.

Thanks Lisa, much appreciated. (y)
I'm afraid we won't really know what there is until we get there on Saturday and can come up with some sort of plan to deal with it. We'll keep everyone posted as best we can.

Reactions: LLC02