Another Story So Far

T

Torch V6

inspired by the previous thread i thought id post my prior car list upto this point

quads38rs.jpg

not my first car but i'll start here as its more interesting
Ford Mondeo 2.0 Si in Java Blue '94 L reg, did a lot of mods to this and with a twin exit powerflow zorst it sounding pretty good to but alas the lure of a V6 was to powerful.....

fastcarfullon0511vwwg2.jpg

this picture was taken at the very first Fast Car Full on in edinburgh where it was a 2 day event.
Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X '96 P in Electric Current with all the toys, it started life like this

dials010qt8.jpg

but as u can see they are like night and day
Mods included full RSAP kit genuine ford, 18" BK Racing 299s with 35 profile, Black Diamond Discs and pads all round, ST24 shocks with Chassis Dynamics springs -30, Powerflow str8 thru 4" oval inc decat, and many more too much to list

from that i wanted even more power so i went for this

mynewm3301203050038fqrp5.jpg

as u can see she is an M3 3.0 '94 L in Dakar Yellow Coupe with a dynoed 287.8 Bhp all going through the rear wheels, great fun and hard to miss in the car park

hard times came about so it was time for derv mobiles

focus001qt6ub1.jpg

Ford Focus TDCi 100ps version '52 Moondust Silver
i actually modded this one as well LOL, front strut brace OMP and a Powermaster Tuning Box which took Bhp upto 140 and torque upto iirc 250 lb/ft

mileage was upto 112k on the focus so i traded and upgraded to this

lagog2.jpg

which i still have now
Renault Laguna Dynamique Techno 1.9 DCi 120
nice comfy cruiser with all the creature comforts but i now dont do the mileage to warrant owning a diesel hence the change back to Fords :D

comments welcome

Hmmmmm Daka Yellow M3 :D Ive been looking at M3s for alittle while now and the prices of E36's have really come down. For example you can get a E36 3.0ltr M3 (3.2ltr Evo if you look harder enough) for around the same money as a E36 328i Sport with the full M-tec kit on it.

Only thing is running costs and the fact I wouldnt be happy leaving on show outside my house Id want a garage (I have one but can just about get a Saxo in it lol)

Apart from the E30 M3 I think the E36 M3 is very under-rated as the E46 is the one most people think of when you say M3.

the evo engines are overrated imho, they claim 321 bhp but more often than not are lucky if u see the right side of 300 Bhp on the rollers
running them is very expensive indeed, some parts are exclusive such as the wishbones, which are ?ú250 a pop and unique to the M3
tyres are just under ?ú200 each
if u really nail the throttle u can get mpg down to around 10 LOL
great cars and very controlable for drifting and will also crush most scoobys and evos std ones that is, the 3.0 are also capable of 168mph whereas the 3.2evo is restricted to 155

it was the car i promised myself when i turned 30 but the running costs forced me to sell after 10 months of ownership :(

Hmmm tell me about it, Id love to treat myself to a M3 and I could Im sure of it but Id be heart broken if I couldnt afford to run it and have to sell it.

3.0ltr's are getting abit hard to find in good condition, too many have been messed around with and been abused alittle too much, shame.

A friend has just chop'd in his E46 328ci for a E46 M3 and it is a stunning bit of kit and he reckons on 26mpg push very low 30's if he is good but he opened the throttle the first weekend he got it and saw it drop the the dreaded 10mpg lol with petrol the way it is he won't be doing that too often.

See thats why nice coupes like the cougar with good engines make a lot of sense these days, good looks, easy to maintane and as cheap to run as a foucs. I always said if the cougar had had a BMW badge on the front it would have sold brilliantly

too true m8 if cash were no object id have another M3 like a shot but sadly with todays economy and interest rates its just not possible

mine had 137k on the clock when i sold her but had full BMW service history and was mechanically sound, even at 137k she still dynoed 287Bhp exactly std power which is well impressive

a m8 of mine has an alpina b10 3.3 garaged and he uses it in the summer and takes it to shows etc but then he still lives at home so all his wages go on his car :roll:

Torch V6 said:
a m8 of mine has an alpina b10 3.3 garaged and he uses it in the summer and takes it to shows etc but then he still lives at home so all his wages go on his car :roll:

Which shape B10 has he got???
This is my mums car believe it or not... :D
Alpina11.jpg

Alpina12.jpg

Alpina9.jpg

I don't like M3s that much personally, I think they are too common nowadays.... I've driven a few including one the same shape as your yellow one, also the previous shape and briefly got a go in a new V8 one... They were all fantastic to drive so I can see the appeal. I just think they lack imagination and are abit of a boring choice IMO...

My mums B10 is superb though, comfortable, make an amazing noise, every gadjet you could think of, very fast indeed and handles like a dream... I love it! I think we will probably keep this car for good as it is like the cat in that sense, you just never want to get rid of it :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: He would have if he didn't spend it on bribing at the weekends :LOL: :LOL: :wink:

yep its an E39 as well manual in blue

spa0099aj5.jpg

big nice comfy cruiser but when we went head to head with me in the M3 no comparison 8)

Funky Catt said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: He would have if he didn't spend it on bribing at the weekends :LOL: :LOL: :wink:

M44TY O said:
Karl, you got lots of money :LOL:

M44TY, listen to Funky catt because he knows.... all my money is gone by the first sunday morning of every month :LOL: :LOL: :oops: :oops:

Torch, what year is that? :D

Well man when all else fails........ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Don't wanna go home alone now do I :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :wink: :wink:

Torch V6 said:
too true m8 if cash were no object id have another M3 like a shot but sadly with todays economy and interest rates its just not possible

mine had 137k on the clock when i sold her but had full BMW service history and was mechanically sound, even at 137k she still dynoed 287Bhp exactly std power which is well impressive

I alway's fancied an M3 in Techno-violet or Orange :wink: but they where allways to expensive. Would'nt mind an 8 series BMW 8)

Torch V6 said:
running them is very expensive indeed, some parts are exclusive such as the wishbones, which are ?ú250 a pop and unique to the M3
tyres are just under ?ú200 each
if u really nail the throttle u can get mpg down to around 10 LOL
sounds just like the V6 Cougar to me mate :LOL: :LOL:

yeah the 8 series suffered from nikasil issues which is why i always tried to avoid the 328s coupes and the 4.0 V8s of that era cos you could never be too sure, a 5.0 would be nice :D

nah cougar running costs are probably about 1/2 :LOL: with my driving on the M3 tyres would last about 4,000 miles if i was lucky :oops: brakes were surprisingly good tho

no abs or traction control on the 3.0s either which made them a real drivers car 8)

Torch V6 said:
yeah the 8 series suffered from nikasil issues which is why i always tried to avoid the 328s coupes and the 4.0 V8s of that era cos you could never be too sure, a 5.0 would be nice :D

8 series electrics were a nightmare, but the 4.4 V8s weren't too bad. My dad used to have an 840Ci with the 4.4l and it did go wrong quite a lot, heating, A/C, windows, buttons etc.... the engine was cool though, did about 8 mpg but it didn't go wrong that much :LOL:

As an aside, Aluminium Nikasil is excellent technology let down by crap supermarket fuels - which badly affected BMW nikasil engines as it affected Jaguar nikasil engines.

So we're back to steel cylinder liners :roll:

Whats this Nikisal you're talking about?? I knew the older 4.0litres had some issues but nver knew what they were???

It's on Wikipedia where they have a better description than I can give...

It's a technology which allows you to use aluminium cylinder liners instead of steel, which obviously saves a bit of weight but more importantly it allows about 3 times the rate of heat transfer compared to steel so you can generate much more combustion heat and successfully get rid of it compared to steel liners - and more heat equals more thermal efficiency which equals more power.

There's a place in America making nikasil cylinders for the VW flat four engine. The kit costs $800 and comes with the cylinders, new aluminium pistons, new piston rings and keepers. They save 10.2 lbs in weight compared to the cast steel cylinders on the standard VW and cool much better so they don't crack like VWs tend to.

I will be buying those cylinders for my VW to go in the plane, as 10.2lbs is a lot - that's more than a gallon of petrol more I can carry!

So you are saying that these cylinder liners dont much like supermarket fuel, and this is what caused problems with the early 90s BMW V8s????