Best parts of California trip

Aussiecat

Well-known user
Feb 27, 2005
Bath
THESE PICTURES UPDATED 15/12/09

I know you will want to see this car first - what a beauty! Outside Intercontinental Hotel at Monterey, northern California. Should have asked for a ride! 6.3 litre AMG Merc.

2889SideviewAMGMerc.jpg

2890FrontendAMGMerc.jpg

2891GullwingdoorstoAMGMerc.jpg

Monterey

Well worth visiting Monterey Aquarium, beautifully kept and built out over the ocean. Huge place, lots to see. I loved the sea horse exhibition, see pics below.

2921Closeupof2seahorses.jpg

Sea dragons!

2922Seadragons2.jpg

Part of outside of huge aquarium building

2892Seasideofaquarium.jpg

2897Moreshorelineviewsofaquarium.jpg

Cannery Row
2888CanneryRowMonterey.jpg

Street scene
2887Montereysidewalk.jpg

San Francisco

We went for a walk along part of the Golden Gate Bridge

Steelwork under bridge

2992Steelworkunderbridge.jpg

Walkway on to bridge

2994Walkwayontobridge.jpg

View across bridge

2999Moreviewsofbridge.jpg

Downtown San Francisco cable car turnaround

3012Manualturningofcablecar.jpg

Turning another cable car

3016Turningthecablecar.jpg

Old fire engine which gives rides on to the Bridge for charity

3008Oldfireengine.jpg

Boats at Fishermans Wharf

3005BoatsatFishermansWharf.jpg

Crabs anyone?

3004Monstercrabs.jpg

Pier 39 Fishermans Wharf

3021Pier39.jpg

Seals sunning themselves at Pier 39

3025SealssunningatPier39.jpg

Tourist town Carmel by the Sea

2882CypressInn.jpg

2875Sweetshopwithshingleroof.jpg

2881Moregardenviews.jpg

2871Moreshingleroofedshops.jpg

2876ShopsignsinCarmel.jpg

17 Mile Road - private road along coastline with amazing views.

Costs you $9.25 to go on it but well worthwhile. An absolute must if in the area!!

2984Stunningcoastlineviews.jpg

2950LoneCypress.jpg

2925Checkingoutthesurf.jpg

2931Roughcoastline.jpg

2941Wildcoastline.jpg

2990Lovelysmallbeach.jpg

2985Thebeachcalls.jpg

2933Gullonrockycoast.jpg

And finally one of the two Cougars I spotted on the entire trip. Have all the others died already???!!! lol

3030gunmetalCougarinOConnor.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good over there Viv.....when did you get back? Surprised you didn't try and smuggle that beauty back with you......or did you :ihih:

Looks good over there Viv.....when did you get back? Surprised you didn't try and smuggle that beauty back with you......or did you :ihih:

Nah, decided the gull wing doors would be a problem in the local car parks!!! Been back for a week or so. Still not got all the pics sorted...bear with me!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Great photo's Viv, why does everything look sooooooooclean (y)

Because it is Al!!! They look after things well and the fact that I had 5 days of clear bue skies and sun was bliss! Most of the cars I saw were in very good condition in California, nice and bright and shiny. Cars are easy to keep clean in a dry and sunny climate.

Totally different in Seattle where it is similar climate to here and it rains heaps. The cars were filthy there!!

nice pics viv in frisco may 2010 did you visit alcatraz on the blue and golds

No Cass. Didn't have time to fit that in on a 1 day visit. Alcatraz is worth seeing I hear but it takes about 2-3 hours out of your day, so just not enough time.

Make sure you take a cable car ride, fun but noisy!!! They refurbished the old cars a few years ago, I love the way people hang on to the sides. :wink5: Boy, are those steep hills in SF, steeper gradient than Bath!!!!

Great pics Aussie, brings back great memories and I still to this day can`t understand why I came home. Offered job in Long Beach ship repair yard back in early 90`s, turned it down :yikes::yikes: Am I retarded ? California is a fabulous part of the world and despite the pi** taking the west coast yanks are a decent lot. Nice one, hope you enjoyed it.

Lovely pics Viv, looks like you had a great time (y)

Didn`t Clint Eastwood come to see you in Carmel ?? I told him you were coming, its his duty as mayor to meet & greet V.I.P`s.

Clint was busy trying to decide if he will produce another film or not and the decision making process was occupying all his time!

Thanks for the comments guys. Great holiday but all too brief!!!!

Great pic's Viv - kinda make you want to get on a plane and get the hell out of this horrible winter in the UK.

Liking that Merc - WOW!! ...now that's money for you.