Black Diamond and Lowered

• Thread starter v6_cougar_london
  • Start date
V

v6_cougar_london

Hi people!

Last weekend I finished my latest improvements to Phoenix :D
You will have to excuse the dirty car, I cleaned it on sunday but then it rained all day monday and tuesday :x :x :x

First off I finally fitted the PI springs I have had sitting in the garage for over a year :?
Was a nightmare job but now thats its done I can't be happier :D
Here is what she looked like before....
DSCF0127.jpg

And here she is now 8)
DSCF0124.jpg

DSCF0127-1.jpg

DSCF0135.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

I also upgraded the brakes to Black diamond grooved discs and EBC redstuff pads :D Although after finishing the suspension I couldn't be bothered to do them myself so I took it to a garage and let them struggle with it :oops: :oops: :LOL: :LOL:
DSCF0130.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0134.jpg

I am hugely pleased with the way she looks now, soo much better! The stance is spot on and the brakes look superb 8) Next I will paint the calipers red to match the pads :D

The car handles 100x better aswell, its unbelievable the difference the springs have made. It corners so much flatter and the understeer has reduced hugely, the dive under breaking almost doesn't exist now which makes the car much easier to control when you have forgot how tight a corner is :LOL: :oops:
The ride is pretty harsh now though, you want to watch out for potholes :LOL: But it still damps pretty well and is not as hard as I was expecting. I have to virtually stop for most speed bumps now though, the front bumper doesn't give much clearence, but I'll get used to that. I have got over some huge ones without grounding by going very slowly so it should be alright. I have scraped some when I have gone abit too quick though :(
But all in all I think its a fantastic mod and would recommend it to anyone with aftermarket wheels. If you have standard bodywork ie. no kits or anything, you will clear all bumps without any problems :D

I have not even done a 100 miles on the brakes yet so I won't comment on how they are performing until they have bedded in, so far so good though :D I shall do a full write up when they are at 100% :)

Thanks to everyone who helped me out, Jamie for all you excellent advice. Mitesh for doing a cracking deal on the brakes and for a service that was second to none. And to Paul for all his help in attempting to do it all in one day :LOL: :LOL: I honestly really appreciate it Paul :D

Looking good Karl, as Mike says, the cat just looks right when it's lowered 8)

Did you keep the standard shocks with the "PI Lowering springs" ( for the benefit of BD) :LOL:

They look good Karl.... I'm feeling so ill from another work night out last night and I'm seeing two lowered black Cougars here :eek:

Interestingly, your observations about the change in handling pretty much echo my own, which is nice to hear. P.S. Get a 21mm rear anti-roll bar. I promise you - YOU WILL LOVE IT :wink:

Thanks everyone for comments, I get so many more looks now, had someone taking pictures in the petrol station the other day!! :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I guess it just makes the car look more sleek and purposeful, it really is gorgeous now :oops: :LOL:

They are PI springs and I think its a 35mm drop, whatever the drop is it is pretty much perfect :D I did keep the standard shocks, would like new ones but they are BIG bucks. And these ones seem to handle the new springs farily well so I will wait a while for that.

Like I said the ride is harsh but not a huge ammount worse then before, until you hit a pothole :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Jamie when you have the finances buy another one and you will feel better :wink: Make it black this time and you will feel as good as me :LOL:
I tried to describe the changes in handling as much as possible, I'm glad you agree :wink: On a smooth twisty road a lowerred Cougar will offer loads more enjoyment then a standard one, it really is a fun and pleasurable car to drive now :D

I have a anti-roll bar on the way, I still find it hard to believe it will make that much difference... But so many people have said it does so I hope to be proved wrong :LOL: I'm very curious about how the car will feel when its done. :D

Without a doubt the Cougar looks better lowered, I was keen on lowering mine, however since I fitted the roush body kit the ford jack will not go in and the trolley jack just fits under the splitter, any lower and I wouldn`t be able to lift the car.

Karl - seriously you will be amazed at the difference 2mm will make!

It even changes the steering weight and the way the car behaves doing 10mph round urban junctions. You know how fast I am to downplay exaggerated reports of most technical mods. This one really does work!

The steering and handling will feel much more like the RWD coupes you have driven and liked :twisted:

phil robbo said:
however since I fitted the roush body kit the ford jack will not go in and the trolley jack just fits under the splitter, any lower and I wouldn`t be able to lift the car.

Damn I hope I dont have that problem :eek: :eek: Oh well whatever happens I'll find a solution :LOL: :wink:

jamie_duff said:
Karl - seriously you will be amazed at the difference 2mm will make!

It even changes the steering weight and the way the car behaves doing 10mph round urban junctions. You know how fast I am to downplay exaggerated reports of most technical mods. This one really does work!

The steering and handling will feel much more like the RWD coupes you have driven and liked :twisted:

Really??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I'll take your word for it mate, that really makes me want to get hold of it asap now :LOL: :LOL: I'm really curious :)

Sorry to jump in, where do I purchase the 21mm ant-roll bar, would that be Fords and is it a Cougar/Mercury upgrade or Mondeo :?:

Ricardo it's a Cougar upgrade (from 19mm as standard, the Mondeo was 16mm)) and they were made by Roush (now very thin on the ground) and also by Ford maybe? They're listed on the British American Transfer website catalogue, along with poly bushes to suit.

Easily the best bang-for-buck modification for the Cougar. They do stress the rear subframe mounts more than previously for obvious reasons, and Jason here broke a mount on his car (simple enough to fix though) and a few Americans have done the same.

It's not a major disaster if you break a mount, but it's something that buyers should be aware of :wink:

Cliche's abound but the car really does handle like its on rails :LOL: since the addition of the Roush anti-roll bar, Eibach Struts & Pi Springs and Freedom Design Strut Brace. 8)

Karl your cat is looking 8) 8) cool....sub zero even :LOL:

Yeah the handling can be a bit harsh sometimes on the standard shocks (it has slightly been aleviated on my car now, only BIG holes make me shudder :wink: ) but its not as if your rear suspension is incorrect like mine was for so long :roll:

Thanks guys, yes I wish I had done this a year ago when I got the springs :? :? :LOL: