Corrosion

So I've now had a bit of time to reflect on the feedback from this morning and, TBH, it doesn't feel great.

Firstly they confirmed that the corrosion is spreading further. Not only that, but it's been repeatedly patch welded - patch on top of patch - which is news to me. He said that between those things, he couldn't even quote me on how much it'd be to sort. Instead of just cutting out bits it'd be a restoration job - something they don't do. Even if they did, it's not something I could afford.

I think the only thing left is for me to do is to see if I can find someone who either wants it for spares or thinks they can restore it. I'd only want the scrap money - I'd feel even worse than I do now knowing that it was being taken away to he crushed.

I only have the next couple of days and then I've got no option but to scrap it. I'll try and get it listed properly tonight after work but please shout if you might be interested.

Hi all. Just an update to let you know that she's just been loaded up on the back of a lorry and is gone.

Not feeling great right now I'll be honest - I'd have saved her if I could but it'd would've been way too much money for me. And MOT expires today - with no off-street parking I couldn't hang onto her any longer.

Anyway - thanks for all your responses - really appreciate it. And as I mentioned the other day - have definitely learned a lesson about welding and getting it done properly.

I don't know if I'll get myself another one - would like to but given how much prices have gone up, and I couldn't keep it out of the weather for the foreseeable, ...and I think I need to invest in a newer family car for us I can't see it happening.

Thanks again.

It's a sad situation with our cars, for many years you could pick up good cars with little wrong with them for pennies, in part because of very negative press which really was undeserved especially when same press waxed lyrical about the Mondeo, Ford have been totally unhelpful to owners with lack of replacement parts and total apathy even when the car was new, now the classic car market has woken up to these reliable good looking well equipped and good driving grand touring cars which offer much including practical every day motoring and prices are on the rise, it's too late to keep probably 75% of what's left on the road, most garages are either not interested in welding up old cars or simply lack skills and equipment so increasingly it's going to be professional restorers who have the skill and equipment to scratch build replacement parts and that's super expensive , there will be a few who love these cars and will go to any lengths to keep them going, even some top brands like Aston Martin and Maserati had models that languished in the that Gray area of too expensive to restore and not worth a great deal of money, Ford had many models that they could not shift unless discounted in period that are worth stupid money now, the future looks bleak with electrification on the roads sky high petrol and running costs so perhaps it's the cougars September time and owners need to hang on to there cars for as long as financially possible, I know I will feel absolutely terrible when it comes time to call it a day šŸ˜Ÿ

nothing worst than watching your beloved car being lifted off the road onto a lorry for the final trip to the graveyard...i know how this feels.
and even tho i put up pics of the rot in one of my cougars above and said any hole can be fixed it seems apparent looking at sill area in your pictures and what your welder said she has gone too far and had one to many temp fixes... i think sadly u made the right decision.
if u want to try again tho there are still some cracking good ones about...some are even being stripped down for the daftest of reasons.

but if not ,and there's a few on here who would im sure agree.. u cant beat a mk 4 mondeo for the amount of reliable car u get for the crazy low prices there going for at the mo..
was tempted by a titanium one of these a few weeks back.. lovely looking car that was going for peanuts.

one last word of advise and then ill shut up šŸ˜

newer doesn't necessarily mean better ,ive seen cars 5 years of age utterly worn out to hell and would still cost a few k to fix....its not about the mileage or age its about how its been looked after by prev owners..

hey stay with us and let us know what u get...we love all cars on here....

The X type is a close relative , a well looked after one will be the one to have. TC has just the thing, for sale.

My experience is that the newer owners of the car buy cheap and scrap rather than fix, it is after all a throw away society, personally I have seen 5 scrapped which have been beyond economical repair needing a jig to hold them for the welding but most just need a few hundred spent which over a period of 5 years is less than Ā£50 a year but itā€™s all about having the money available at the time and most buying a car sub Ā£3000 donā€™t have money readily available