• When using paypal to pay for show tickets please say in the comment box what show you are paying for. This makes it easier for us to cross refer to the show threads. Thanks.

Cougarfest

Richb

Honorary Member
Club Member
Sep 11, 2004
BO11 0CK
After reading the thread that Jason has just posted on, I cannot help feeling disappointed that 2010 is going to be the last year that the club has cougarfest. I was at the first one where I got to meet all of those people that I'd spoken too, argued with or just got to see to put a face to a name, I found out that when I met some of these people, I understood their posts better, geographical location and language structure can create problems that don't exist. Everybody had a good time and didn't want the weekend to end. A month after that, my big end bearings went on my car, if it wasn't for a very enjoyable weekend with my friends, the car would've gone.
2006 was a little more organised than the informal 2005 event but still an enjoyable event, the first time that I met and spoke to Manos and Mo, who offered me goat curry, an offer that I declined. I remember this event well, the weather was good and the beer flowed, we had a DJ on the saturday night too. I remember walking around Billing with Dave (Cougarage) and chatting to other members of other clubs, there was one in particular (MkII Zodiac, Zephyr & Consul OC) who trapped us, we both must've had the 'rabbit in the headlamps' look but still he was relentless in his effort to educate us further!!
2007 was the wet one in the Bog of Billing, despite an abysmal summer, a good time was had by all, the DJ on the saturday was brilliant, I remember being in the Marquee cooking on the barbecue just after he set up. The weather did its best to ruin the weekend but it never stood a chance, we were all there for a good time and as far as I am aware, we all fulfilled our ambition.
2008 was the last year at billing, this year, the weather was glorious, it was a great weekend, not least because we weren't going to go for various reasons, in the end, a few things worked out and we decided to go, we are both glad we did too, the weekend was memorable, from alan working on people's cars, Christian arriving in his 'S' replica, Mitesh (Active) visiting us in his 350Z and also Dave (Cougarage) with his wife and daughter meeting up with us for a few hours. Then there was Ria sporting the Giraffe willy thing whilst Charlie obeyingly opened his mouth!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:
2009 was different, this year, we'd moved, I was sceptical, especially as one who doesn't like change, when I first got there I was disappointed, got stuck into the booze and was ratted very quickly, after eating a lot of humble pie the next day, I went on to have a memorable saturday, right through the day, the fancy dress was fun, and who can forget Dusty? Bob's mate, an absolute legend, always a story to tell, always very funny. The two of them together could entertain for hours.
Over my five cougarfests, I have met great people, learned a lot more about them in a weekend than in a year on here, and have some memories that I'll cherish forever, I believe that I have made a 14" fruit cake for most, if not all of the fests, which takes a lot of time and money, I have always considered it worth both the effort and the money though. It will be a real shame if this is the last time that we have a cougarfest.
2010.....................................................................................

2011?

An excellent post Rich, I too have been to all the fests up to this year and have had a great time at each one, and have met some lovely people, unfortunately I can`t make it this year, though even if I could I guess it wouldn`t be the same without my cougar, however its more about the people at Cougarfest.
For me 2005 was very enlightening, meeting people for the first time, when most of us were strangers to each other and we all had name tags on.
2006 .. the charity auction was good fun, and another very enjoyable weekend, we wimped out of camping and stayed in the Travelodge that year.
2007 .. Man that was a wet one, my nephew Anthony came with me that year and he thoroughly enjoyed it, everyone was kind and friendly with him and he still talks about it whenever I see him.
2008 .. who can remember Alex & Stewart playing badminton in thier Cougar suits ? another great fest.
2009 .. As Rich says a bit sceptical about the new site, but once we were all settled in it was yet another memorable Fest.

2007 .. Man that was a wet one, my nephew Anthony came with me that year and he thoroughly enjoyed it, everyone was kind and friendly with him and he still talks about it whenever I see him.

I remember telling him "You haven't lived until you've had a pair of womens knickers on your head":LOL::LOL::LOL:

i hope this is not the beginning of the end for 'fest. I am genuinely gutted, but i simply can not make it...no matter which ever way i look at it.

Exellent post Rich, from 07, "The wet one" i remember it well, empty wellies every twenty paces :LOL:. Every fest since, and i'll be at 2010, but this won't be my last, not if i can help it!
Just getting to meet the names on the forum and putting the faces to those names, (not always a pleasant experience) but i agree with Rich, you just have to be there!

Exellent post Rich, from 07, "The wet one" i remember it well, empty wellies every twenty paces :LOL:. Every fest since, and i'll be at 2010, but this won't be my last, not if i can help it!
Just getting to meet the names on the forum and putting the faces to those names, (not always a pleasant experience) but i agree with Rich, you just have to be there!

If you could bottle the atmosphere, it'd be priceless.:):):)

On a personal level, I don't always see eye to eye with you on here but 'in the flesh' I think you're alright, as previously said, a lot is lost in translation, a lot of misunderstandings are a result of ordinary members being unaware of the minefield that is 'moderating', on many occasions, I have been guilty of this. I do try to see it from both sides though.

If anybody is thinking of coming to Cougarfest 2010 but isn't quite sure, what have you got to lose? I know that some people are more shy than others too, it can be quite daunting meeting people, especially if they are all familliar with eachother, however, I can guarantee that you'll be made welcome by everybody there.

Cougarfest is part of the clubs identity, don't let it disappear from the calender.

Nice one Rich :beer:

I've also been to every fest since the first one (that line-up of 30+ cougars is unforgetable) and I'd say 2006 was the best one by far (there is a video I had that just summed up the weekend, outthere with your mates chillin back and havin a good time) I admit i only turned up at the "Wet-one" of '07 for the day but you still got a sence of the atmosphere even then and I was back in full fest mode for 2008. I didn't mind the new place, in fact the lack of "Pikeys" was a god send :)

I did think of not coming because of the old "Lets roll matt up in his tent" mlarky but i thought :stop: stop beeing a fanny Matt and get outhere ya nana :geek:

A big shout out to JJ and Matt (Cougarfella) for all those years sorting this out. We will be back for Cougarfest 2011 lads dont you worry:beer::beer:

i went to my first last year, and will be going this year, met some gr8 people last year, fancy dress on sat night was hilarious, looking forward to this year and with any luck and abetter financial situation for all , hopefully we will have one in 2011, i for one will be looking to go, many thanks to the guys who strive to organise this each year,

I have an idea I need to discuss with JJ on sunday at Harewood next week that could help us all out for next years event.....hell there better be another one as my cat has only just done 64k so it relativly young and I don't intend to get rid of it for a LONG time soon (y)

If anyones contemplating CF this year BLOODY WELL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
You really wont regret it, trust me!!!
I am truly gutted that i had to miss moodded nats, and am even more gutted that i may very well have to miss this too!!!!
This year has not been kind to me, but things are in place to hopefully change this, so if i've got the cash lastminute.com i'm bloody well going!!!!!!!!

Will see you all there..............

banhim-1.gif

I have to echo Rich's sentiments, something special occured in 06 and it just hasn't been there fully since. Unfortunately, the basics for fest are if people don't follow up there commitment to going by shelling out the pennies then it will get cancelled. Last year was saved by a whisker, to the point where on the night of the deadline I had a late night call, about half 10 from someone who I won't name just yet to say "Log in, you have the 30 cars necessary, get fest sorted!" When I asked if this person was coming as he mentioned that he was about to pay, the reply was "I can't make it, but I can't see the club go without fest so I'll pay for me and the family, as if we were going to be there for the full weekend". I couldn't accept his money and nor did I.

He know's who he is and if he wants to be known then I'll leave that to him.

The point being, sometimes, people are blissfully unaware of the lengths that people go to to make this club what it is. Nearly all the time it feels as if the vast majority have no concept of what it takes to organise group events etc. The value I've found from going to as many meets as I have is friends. Not just "pals", but proper friends. Many of whom I see on socially a few times through the year too. Just a bummer sometimes that we all live so far apart!!

I'm quite fed up of pushing meets, and quite fed up of trying to remind people that we don't bite, you'll only get to know people by showing your face, you don't need a modded car etc etc etc. At the same time I persevere with doing it for one reason only, and that is that had I not made my first meet I wouldn't have the friends I do now. I hope that people will make the effort and maybe meet some people they get along with, we can't like everyone we meet! Just look at RichB's signature! LOL

That said, if the club loses fest, my car will find it's way onto the Autotrader as without a Cougarfest, TRUST ME, it's pointless owning a Cougar. If you only attend one thing in a year, then it should be that. The most notice for holidays etc and it's central. Be brave, drive a few miles in that big Cat, you didn't buy it to stare at it............................