Getting a new heated w/screen fitted

T

TheBoyRoss

As per the title really... After speaking very nicely to my insurance company and Auto-Glass I am getting my heated screen fitted tomorrow at 11am outside work :)
I have everything in place ready and waiting for it to be fitted...

No more scraping the ice in the mornings, just turn the key and press 2 buttons... Nice...

Now just need to find a pair of heated washer jets...

Nice find that... There is an ST24 with a heated screen at the scrappy near me so may wander up there on Saturday.

Pretty much so, the plug is in the n/s wing I believe, then just plug em in and no for frozen washer jets either...

I could do with a new one, used mine the other day and apart from a 4" part in the middle nothing much else happened, and I checked the fuses the other day (when I was fixing my side light) anyone know where you get the fuses from as they are a weird shape (pink and square)

Posted from my mobile

Pink and square..? Is this in the cabin or engine bay fuse box..?

Engine bay fuse box. If you have the earlier 'squarer' fuse box its fuses 5 & 6 30amp green and a grey relay R4.
If you have the later, rectangular fuse box:
fuseboxlate.jpg

its the two pink ones in the middle(near the green and black relays) and the grey relay at bottom right.

I could do with a new one, used mine the other day and apart from a 4" part in the middle nothing much else happened, and I checked the fuses the other day (when I was fixing my side light) anyone know where you get the fuses from as they are a weird shape (pink and square)
As long as the 4" working part covers both halves of the screen (in the middle you should see a slightly larger gap between the elements - thats the split between the two sections) your fuses are ok. It's the elements that are dying - time for a new screen.

PS - Any chance of removing the 'Posted from my mobile' message from all your posts? It's really bugging me. :stop:

Ok mate :LOL:

I wonder would the insurance pay for a new screen...or would I have to fork out over £600 for one myself? Thing is the previous screen was great, but a large crack due to a stone or something hitting the windscreen at 70mph on the motorway soon ruined that (was like someone shooting at it) its one of the reasons I got a Cougar because it has a heated front screen. :(

If the screen were to.....ahem....develop a crack or something (possibly from a stone on the motorway. For example whistling..gif ) then it should be covered by the glass cover on your insurance policy (y)

Ok mate :LOL:

I wonder would the insurance pay for a new screen...or would I have to fork out over £600 for one myself? Thing is the previous screen was great, but a large crack due to a stone or something hitting the windscreen at 70mph on the motorway soon ruined that (was like someone shooting at it) its one of the reasons I got a Cougar because it has a heated front screen. :(

If the car came with a heater in the glass, and the heater stops working, the screen has lost one of it's safety features. You CAN have a screen replaced on safety grounds if the heater elements have stopped working. I had my rear screen replaced on my mondy for exactly that reason. If your insurer feeds you BS, just say "oh btw, did i mention a housebrick just went through it as well!" o_O

does anyone know of any insurance companies who can be persuaded to accidentally replace a stanard screen with a heated one?
If you fit all the requisite parts such as the switch & connectors before you 'phone Autoglass, then the short answer is yes.
If all parts are in place then it's safe to assume that the vehicle has had a heated screen at some point
that has been replaced with a non heated for cost purposes.

This is true, I had the conversation with Autoglass 2 days ago, unfortunately, mine does not have the parts fitted

As above really.. I said to the guy at Autoglass I have everything there for a heated screen apart from the screen itself, told him I removed the relay for safety purposes.. They don't care as you pay your excess and the insurance covers the rest, so as long as they can be persuaded then job done...

Maybe not so much persuaded really as "convinced"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the last guy made a right mess of fitting mine, he cracked the old one taking it off then when he fitted the new one i'm sure it was slightly warped (water pools at the top!) it was replaced with a pilkington one and they are supposed to be better than the ford ones fitted as standard, but obviously this isn't the case. Looks like a phone call to the glass people is in order then.

Posted from my mobile

I thought the Ford glass was Pilkington anyway..?
If it is autoglass doing the work, ask to speak to a guy called Lenny, a jolly Irish fellow and got me the heated screen on mine..