Hello guys

3LCoug

I have a 1999 Cougar Sport with a 3L swap. Just was checking out your guys site because i am from over the pond as you would say. I will get pics up when i take some. Just thought i would stop in and say hello.

Welcome mate.

So how do you find the 3L conversion, much quicker ?
How about traction with the cougar being front wheel drive ?
The 4x4 conversion (which the Bolton Mafia have perfected over here) together with a 3L lump could be an interesting combination.....

Simon

Welcome mate.

So how do you find the 3L conversion, much quicker ?
How about traction with the cougar being front wheel drive ?
The 4x4 conversion (which the Bolton Mafia have perfected over here) together with a 3L lump could be an interesting combination.....

Simon

Well there are 3 differenet ways to do a 3L over here. All of the engines we use come out of 2003-2005 taurus, sable, escape or mariner. Now depending on the 3L you build you could use the newer 08 motors. the first 3l is called a hybrid 3L which can run pretty well off of a stock calibration for the 2.5. The hybrid is taking heads from a Contour SVT( i own an SVT with the Hybrid 3L) and place them on the 3L block. yes there is a little more involved there but it gives you the Gist of things. Next is the split port to oval port conversion. this one i do not really recomend becasue i dont like the concept but it is one of the easier builds. you buy a Taurus duratec from like 04-05 take the upper intake off and grind the oval ports to match the 2.5L lower intake manifold and use a special C&C plate so that everything works with the stock componets and then assemble like normal and should run decent but would be advised to get the car tuned for the motor. The last one but the one with the most benifit is the full oval port swap. You take the motor from the 04-05 taurus or sable and drop it in with modifications to a few piece to make it work. this motor must be dyno tunned to run properly. It takes of custom making a few pieces such as modifiing the fuel rail , and some vacum pieces since you are using every piece from the taurus. if you have any more question i would be willing to try to answer them as best as i can.

As for the all-wheel drive i would love to get my hands on that setup. Also i like a few things that you guys have on your cars compared to what we have. My car currently has the UK front grille and rear emblem. I love your taillights and would love to get my hands on a set. Also like ford labled sill plates.

billy

hi 3l coug, welcome to the UKC, nice sounding motor you have, 3L, mmm, the mercury badges are like gold dust here:D, i have a spare uk grill and rear badge if you know of anyone that wants, (poss trade for mercury signage),:angel::angel:

The second generation Maverick (Mazda based) is the same as the US Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner. Came in 2.0 or 3.0l V6 varients with the V6 rated at 197PS and 265Nm.

Welcome to the forum 3LCoug.

Thanks again everyone.
they are simaler to the 3L we use but the upper and lower intakes are different. Now if you were willing to try the swap i could send over some US spec UIM LIMs from the taurus. Just a thought.

Any one else know any more about this 4X4 setup you guys have for these cars?