HID plus a few after-thoughts

Pid_16V

Admin (Uncle Al)
Club Admin
Nov 20, 2006
Mansfield (Robin Hood Country)
I bought the 5000k HID kit from Lewy, fitted them and found one hid bulb not working, so i looked on ebay and found a pair of H7 6000k's for ?ú21 including postage http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=320272367881&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

Well the lenses on my headlight units are pitted to hell and reflect light in all directions so i decided to swap them from a spare pair which have been occupying space in my garage for quite a while now.
I wanted to keep my "angel eyes" intact so i only needed to split the units to swap the clear lenses over.
This meant stripping four headlight units :yikes: .Imagine four units all split and in the kitchen, headlight bits all over the worktops :yikes: :LOL: , needless to say, i did this lot while Vonny was in bed :skep:. I put the good lenses onto the units with the angel eyes and while they were open i fitted the 6000k HID's, I also fitted the 12v pc fans to the rear covers, to help cool the three angel eye inverters. Went to get the beam alignment checked today and all is ok (y).
Since fitting the 6000k HID bulbs, i found out that if they are connected the wrong way round, ie: wrong polarity, the bulb will not light but it will not blow either. Armed with this info i decided to re-check the 5000k bulb from the kit i had off Lewy, yes, you guessed it,it worked fine.I had previously fitted the bulb the wrong way round. Two 5000k HID bulbs spare :LOL: .

Some piccies:
The first thing i noticed is just how much whiter these are than the standard bulbs.The photo's don't really do justice.

HIDS11.jpg

HIDS13.jpg

HIDS.jpg

HIDS1.jpg

;

HIDS14.jpg

HIDS15.jpg

HIDS16.jpg

HIDS17.jpg

HIDS2.jpg

Notice the MPG? :LOL:(y)
HIDS3.jpg

A couple of mobile piccies i took while waiting to get the beam checked:
HIDS4.jpg

HIDS5.jpg

HIDS6.jpg

The Red car in the corner is a brush painted scrap Triumph TR7.
HIDS7.jpg

The new lenses are much clearer than my previous ones:
HIDS10.jpg

And you must have noticed! :smile5:
While the unit was open, i decided i had found a use for a couple of spare cougar head logo's. :wink5:
HIDS9.jpg

Last edited:
I fitted HID's awhile back and they rule. Brill mod. I know there is legal issues with them. but i perfer to see further.

I fitted HID's awhile back and they rule. Brill mod. I know there is legal issues with them. but i perfer to see further.

When i went to get my beam alignment checked, the mechanic told me that they were "MOT PASS" and did,nt know of any legal issues with HID.
What he did say (which in my opinion makes sense) was that you have to compare the HID technology of extremely bright lighting with the gradual introduction of the "Halogen" lighting in the 60's/70's. Even though the beam is aimed perfectly, the bright-er light effect to on coming traffic is immense, so there is a common mis-conception that the beam is too high and too bright.
"People get used to it"
and as Malu said "HID lights have come down a lot in price" just like the Halogens did way back.
I think HID lighting will be the norm in the very near future. (y)

What he did say (which in my opinion makes sense) was that you have to compare the HID technology of extremely bright lighting with the gradual introduction of the "Halogen" lighting in the 60's/70's. Even though the beam is aimed perfectly, the bright-er light effect to on coming traffic is immense, so there is a common mis-conception that the beam is too high and too bright.
"People get used to it"

Looking good Alan (y), and have heard the same as above in regards as to MOT etc, I know a number who have done the same without any problems, as for the lens have been intending to take mine out and apart to clean them inside and out, also got a bit on condensation in one so the sooner the better. Just need to do my front disc and pads first

Looking good Alan. I think this legal issue is if the HID's are fitted OEM then you have to have Headlamp washers etc. something like that...

Hell i've got a Cat replacement pipe on my car so whats the legality of that?

Love the HIDS can't wait to fit mine eventually they look really good. For now im content with my xenon white headlight bulbs lol

looks cool - and certainly brighter! :D ive gotta say though that the wee cougar head stickers u added to the lens look fab - simple but effective!

Like the HID's, give much better lighting when driving at night, however, I have driven passed other people at night using HID and it has blinded me..possible that they had them set at the wrong height? but I was seeing purple dots for ages afterwards. But, saying that they do the job. May look at doing this to my Coug.

blinding lights

:eek:ut::eek:ut::eek:ut::eek:ut:i personally think that if you want to blind the poor sods travelling the other direction at night , you should drive a bmw and be totally inconsiderate. standard lights are more than adequate for our roads. :frown2::frown2::frown2: please please please stop it:mad2:. i understand that extra vision is safe for the driver but if you cause someone else trouble or upset on the road then its just not right. please dont take it personally but this is my number 1 hate and will never think that hid kits are practical or sensible:incazzato::incazzato::incazzato:the stickers look good though:LOL::LOL:

Last edited by a moderator: