How NOT to paint your calipers!

Micra...Classic, but on the subject of the weights, the hub offset is roughly central so addig weight to the outside or inside should work...shouldnt it?

ive had three cans of grolsch (read from the can) and its saturday night lol the only thing dynamic round here is my aim at the toilet.

I'm fairly sure I've had ally rims balanced in the dim & distant that've only had bang-ons on the back, and had no noticable wobbleability. Course I could be a: misremebring, or b: been lucky.

I go for the stick-on variety nowadays.......

Quite possibly. I've deffo said to tyre fitters words to the effect of:

"I say, old chap, please be so kind as to avoid affixing any of those nasty bang-on weights to the fronts of the shiny rims"

The wheel is a 3 dimensional object. It's a spinning disc, but it has thickness.

You could balance a dinner plate with the weights either side, but all the dinner plate's mass is roughly on the same disc which is 'very thin'.

A wheel however is in this case 6.5" wide. Now the balance weight could be needed anywhere within that thick disc, because the material density of the wheel and tyre isn't usually very convenient in being off right on the edge. Indeed, on a 6 spoke wheel, the outside edge, if cut off the rest of the wheel could need a balance weight added to Spoke #1 and the inside edge could need a balance weight on Spoke #4.

If left unbalance it could try to wobble in several directions at once - eg if you froze time, the inside edge could be heaviest at the top and thus trying to tug the wheel upwards, whilst the outside edge could be heaviest at the bottom and trying to tug the wheel downwards. The net effect is that the wheel wont try to move vertically, so yhou have achieved static balance, but the coupled forces will try to change the camber from positive to negative to positive to negative etc etc every revolution. Similarly, it would do the same to the toe of the wheel, trying to toe it in and out and in and out - that would definately come through the steering rack as a wobble you'd feel.

Calculating the position of a single balance mass to solve the whole 'system' is very difficult, and fitting the required mass might be just as impractical.

Instead, dynamic balance for a thick disc can be approximated by treating the it as two separate thin discs - which, like dinner plates, are easy to balance. You need to apply the solution for both thin discs in order to achieve the simulated thick disc balance though - otherwise you haven't really achieved anything. It's still not dynamically balanced.

The stick on weights are fine so long as they stick on. They're not on the plane of the thin disc the machine told you to put them on though, so it'll never be perfect, and infact I've seen a few beginners adding weights all over the place because the machine will always show some vibration and each time a weight is added somewhere, the machine comes back with a different answer for balancing it. I've seen people running the machine 4 times, adding the weights (stick on) 4 times and getting annoyed because it's still not right :LOL:

It's usually close enough though :)

...... I've seen a few beginners adding weights all over the place because the machine will always show some vibration and each time a weight is added somewhere, the machine comes back with a different answer for balancing it. I've seen people running the machine 4 times, adding the weights (stick on) 4 times and getting annoyed because it's still not right :LOL:

Well, if you will go to kwik-fit:D

this is what happens when you tell an apprentice to make sure the brakes are ready for a hot run !

thhahaha.gif
thhahaha.gif
thhahaha.gif