Looking to buy V769kdg

Welcome Mikey. Most cars out there are likely to need a bit of work, but if you go in with your eyes open hopefully you'll be OK. Sadly there is not the choice of cars available these days, but you'll find plenty of assistance here should you need it. (y)

Reactions: poose
Thanks everyone for the advice. I’d noticed a few carpark dinks on it but other than that I thought it looked like a low mileage car. I have a Probe V6 in the same colour. Maybe I’ll bid £1800 then, it will cost me £250 to get it home then do the bits you’ve mentioned. I’ve seen the one that was at 5k and the one at 3k, but they didn’t look as straight as this one so I was thinking 2k would get it.

Reactions: backseateducation
I’ve not looked at the video but studying the pics and zooming in I think there’s a strong possibility it’s had paint. Def rear wing near wheel arch, the under seal line is much less distinct on one’s identity compared to the other
Are the front wings a different shade ?, also the door shuts look messy, if it’s had paint it will have been a very budget blow over, the seller will know it’s not going to make big money so won’t have overspent on paint. One of the rear arches looks wavy at the top edge when zoomed in, filler maybe ?
I think he’s the 3rd owner, something about “ showing one former keeper” the log book usually shows one less as it doesn’t include the present owner, it’s “ former keepers “ and dealers don’t show either.
Mine is W 2000 and has black handbrake button, it seems an unlikely mod on an otherwise V standard car, so seems likely to be original.
MOT history is short which fits with mileage, floor rot at the normal under drivers heel position likely soon and sills too of course. Rear subby might be OK with such low miles if she’s lived in a warm nest. Discs are easy enough to change.
Brake pipes are something to consider too. ( although mine have been MOT commented and are copper ! )
She looks really nice though and is worth a punt, with my doubts about paint I’m not sure I’d bid without actually seeing it.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeyv8
I’ve not looked at the video but studying the pics and zooming in I think there’s a strong possibility it’s had paint. Def rear wing near wheel arch, the under seal line is much less distinct on one’s identity compared to the other
Are the front wings a different shade ?, also the door shuts look messy, if it’s had paint it will have been a very budget blow over, the seller will know it’s not going to make big money so won’t have overspent on paint. One of the rear arches looks wavy at the top edge when zoomed in, filler maybe ?
I think he’s the 3rd owner, something about “ showing one former keeper” the log book usually shows one less as it doesn’t include the present owner, it’s “ former keepers “ and dealers don’t show either.
Mine is W 2000 and has black handbrake button, it seems an unlikely mod on an otherwise V standard car, so seems likely to be original.
MOT history is short which fits with mileage, floor rot at the normal under drivers heel position likely soon and sills too of course. Rear subby might be OK with such low miles if she’s lived in a warm nest. Discs are easy enough to change.
Brake pipes are something to consider too. ( although mine have been MOT commented and are copper ! )
She looks really nice though and is worth a punt, with my doubts about paint I’m not sure I’d bid without actually seeing it.
Good luck.
Which arch would you say has filler? Now you’ve just said about the seal line I can see one is more pronounced than the other. But the side that I’d say has been painted which is the pass quarter has a thicker line, the drivers side colour looks good, under those lights it’s quite difficult to be sure.

Pictures can be very deceiving, on the video it looks like the passenger side rear arch is a different colour but could be a trick of the light, looking at MOT history the car was off the road from at least 2007 to 2019, how was it stored as rust could easy set in.
The 2019 mot shows -
  • Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened All (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Moisture around outer edge of screnn
  • Offside front floor pan corroded
  • Exhaust flexi deteriorated and system corroded
  • Signs of corrosion In places
  • Metal brake pipes corroded
  • Rear bushes deteriorated
  • Nearside rear tyre perished
  • Front coils corroded
  • Offside Rear Inner Tyre slightly damaged (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
The corrosion is potential the most worrying bit, has it been sorted properly or just bodged over.
In 2022 MOT only the tyre and brake pipes are highlighted, if it was stored for so long the tyres will be shot.
All the cooling system hoses could also be perished, not running a car for so long can gunk up the cooling system and cause corrosion.
I would say for safest before you spend potentially 2k on it you need to have a look at it or see if any close by you could trust can look at it as you don't know what lurks beneath.

Reactions: Mikeyv8
I’m starting to think maybe it’s not as good as I’d hoped. I’m too far away to view it in person before the auction starts. I’m drawn to the low mileage more so, I can’t decide if it’s had work or not with the lighting. I think I’ll message them and ask for more info.

Reactions: poose
If you can get more info and better picks it may help. Personally i would dinner have a higher milage well maintained car. That one was sat about for a long time unused and things still deteriorate even if not used.
You may be safer hanging out for something closer to home you can insect.

Mikey, it’s the rear drivers side, when you zoom in it looks like some rough edges to filler or paint that shouldn’t be there. Looks a bit like pixelation but the same arch on the other side doesn’t do it.
Its speculation really , it could be a good be a good car, I agree I’d be tempted by the low miles too but these engines seem pretty bomb proof so long as they get the oil and filters ( like most modern ish engines )
The only way to know for sure is to get eyes on it.
She certainly looks nicer than mine and lower miles too, but mine hasn’t been power polished. I also know where mine has been for the last 10 years or so and that rot is cut out as soon as I know it’s there.

Reactions: shirtyzeus
hmm it a difficult one really as i think they have led lighting in that building and this can make some odd looking shadows AND colours..40k is well low and id want to know why it hasnt been used...was it dry stored? or just parked up outside..if the latter it may have great mechs but bodywork will still suffer out in the damp/wet even if not used..
there is definatly a ridge shadow on that lower rear sill which is a tell tale sign of filler but then the seam looks like its been jacked up on underneath so could have caused that(NEVER JACK UP ON SILLS and if u see a tyre man try to do it hit him with a mallet and go elsewhere) :ROFLMAO:
as mabo has said u simply have to view it and do some knocking for filler and get a general feel for its condition...
i personally would go for it but then i can weld and strip engines:LOL:

if your anyway mechanically minded and id assume u are as u own one of the lovely probes and can handle some repair work id say go for it.
it looks amazing and clean and tidy..
solid ones DO still exist.

as for getting it home ive driven one from brighton to huntingdon without an alternator belt ,another from york with a split waterpump chucking out 3 litres every 2 miles and another from boston limping home with a totally blocked up catalitic converter..
these cars will always get u home so long as u have a tool bag and supplies of oil and water on board.
honestly! if it starts ,drives and dont overheat i wouldnt worry.

i paid £1200 for tilly the auto and £500 for suzi but she was a non runner.
i hope u get it ,be nice to see it here where help and advise is always ready to hand. just be aware that most even if in top condition need some fresh underseal and parts to keep em going so expect at least a little work to be needed..
GOOD LUCK!

hmm it a difficult one really as i think they have led lighting in that building and this can make some odd looking shadows AND colours..40k is well low and id want to know why it hasnt been used...was it dry stored? or just parked up outside..if the latter it may have great mechs but bodywork will still suffer out in the damp/wet even if not used..
there is definatly a ridge shadow on that lower rear sill which is a tell tale sign of filler but then the seam looks like its been jacked up on underneath so could have caused that(NEVER JACK UP ON SILLS and if u see a tyre man try to do it hit him with a mallet and go elsewhere) :ROFLMAO:
as mabo has said u simply have to view it and do some knocking for filler and get a general feel for its condition...
i personally would go for it but then i can weld and strip engines:LOL:

if your anyway mechanically minded and id assume u are as u own one of the lovely probes and can handle some repair work id say go for it.
it looks amazing and clean and tidy..
solid ones DO still exist.

as for getting it home ive driven one from brighton to huntingdon without an alternator belt ,another from york with a split waterpump chucking out 3 litres every 2 miles and another from boston limping home with a totally blocked up catalitic converter..
these cars will always get u home so long as u have a tool bag and supplies of oil and water on board.
honestly! if it starts ,drives and dont overheat i wouldnt worry.

i paid £1200 for tilly the auto and £500 for suzi but she was a non runner.
i hope u get it ,be nice to see it here where help and advise is always ready to hand. just be aware that most even if in top condition need some fresh underseal and parts to keep em going so expect at least a little work to be needed..
GOOD LUCK!
Thanks, I don’t doubt it will get me home, I’m just concerned about the sills and subframe more so. There’s another on eBay that is more local, done slightly more mileage but it doesn’t have leather, and you’ve got to have leather 🤭

Reactions: shirtyzeus
Unless you can get it up on a lift and look it all over it's a chance, but if you want one and let's face it most that are left fall into two camps, ready for the breakers in a year or looked after and been kept up as problems arise then it looks tidy, low mileage is nice but cars suffer from standing long periods without use so I would not take much notice of that, body structure is all important and far more costly than another engine or box