My new Media Center Pc

:idea:right I might have figured out the problem now; Microsoft in their infinate wisdom did some software writing called "slipstream" and in the process the SP2 (service pack2) information was written on ....the 1st Disc!:rolleyes5:
:skep: So when the computer was asking me when I was installing the O/S to r=insert the SP2 disc I presumed it ment the 3rd disc in the pack....not the 1st one again!:mad2:

No wonder the O/S don't work properly :incazzato::incazzato::incazzato: Bloody bill Gates :frown2:

(I'll have to wipe my existing down-load and start again) :eek:ut:

As I said in my previous post Matt, one CD includes the OS with SP2.
No need to install SP2 afterwards or have a separate SP2 disk - all catered for with the one disk.

Make sure you activate XP before downloading any MS extras (e.g. Media Player 11).
You're not properly licensed until you've activated XP.

All sorted now mate, its just the fact that several items i have are complicated as it is to set up, but made even more awkward with badly translated instruction manuals too. But I think I've got most of the bugs sorted out now, i'll have to post up some more pics when i'm sure its all sorted ;)

Right its been a while since my last update :rolleyes5: don't ask ....Re-formats, new ideas etc. :nonod:

Anyway, its OK now ((Touch wood)) and I've almost finished transferring all my music from my other PC to the new one, although a few albums had to be re-named slightly as Media Center wouldn't recognize the titles (incompatible characters) but thats sorted now....and a slight problem with incorrect album cover pictures too...oh the joys of PC ownership :eek:ut:

This is the Zalman Remote control unit
DSC02561.jpg

It controls all the media center functions and also allows you to turn the PC power on & off etc.
The digital display uses MHC software to display various bits of information on the PC's actions (including CPU Usage, Network values, Time, and Media information) here you can see the screen shot of the music display spectrum analyzer, when set to this display the digital display lights up too.
DSC02562.jpg

DSC02560.jpg

Showing Track Title and bit rate plus a Spectrum Analyzer display - or - just a spectrum analyzer display.
DSC02559.jpg

Or the time (burning the midnight oil as you can see)
DSC02576.jpg

The display can also be user set to whatever you want it to display, that your PC does.

Due to not having a new screen yet I'm having to work around THREE PC's, the new one, my parents & my netbook
DSC02571.jpg

so my room looks like a Hackers paradise, with two keyboards and mouse set up on the same desk (I think if I'm gonna be out of a new screen for some while I'll have to invest in a KVA connection) :D but trust me I'm no hack :eek:
DSC02570.jpg

I'll have it sorted ....one day :prrr::smilewinkgrin:

Very impressive ginja, but tbh, i still prefer my old record player.
You probably have a good explanation for this but, why did you spend so much time transferring all your music files from one hdd to another? Why not just stick your music laden hdd into your media centre?

The HDD in question was one of those USB ones that you use for back-ups, If i'd had a proper USB to USB cable i'd have just sent the music direct from my Netbook to the new PC but i havn't, and when I tried using a network cable (CAT5) It wouldn't connect (i'm sure i wasn't doing it right, I guess imust be able to send files from one PC to the other via the wi-fi, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that?) (how do you link PC's wirelessly)

Good setup Matt. Just rigged my work machine up to the tv hifi setup and it works pretty well especially now using Windows 7 (absolutely brilliant).
Here's a shot of my desktop system which then wires up via a HDMI cable to the TV (Sony Bravia 46). Still got to sort some parts of the kit though... not totally happy with the Sky integration.
bcsoftware1xl.jpg

Probably need to replace the fans too as the main cooler is quite noisy now.

Nice one Phil :D

Impresive set up cullers, multiple screens allways reminds me of either Swordfish or Batman ;)

Bit of a result today my sister "gave" me a Wireless Microsoft Media center keyboard + mouse (y) thanks sis, saves someone buying me one for christmas now :ihih:
(she also had a manual on Windows XP MCE whisch is good as i dont):eek:

So which software are you using to control the feed to the tv?
One bit of kit I love is the external cd/dvd writer with litescribe. Its good not to have to mess around writing on cd's or printing labels. I read somewhere that there are full colour ones in the pipeline.

Why pay for anti virus??? Why not just download Microsoft Security Essentials??? Its free and about time as microsoft finally acknowledge its their pcs usually under attack.
Another question... What made you go the AMD route??? And why not run 64bit? Sweet case by the way:)

Why pay for anti virus??? Why not just download Microsoft Security Essentials??? Its free and about time as microsoft finally acknowledge its their pcs usually under attack.
Another question... What made you go the AMD route??? And why not run 64bit? Sweet case by the way:)

As with most things youy pay for what you get, a subscription means that you get regular updates and as viruses, worms and trojans and the like are being created daily it is worth keeping uptodate with security software. Microsoft have never released a program that has been completely locked down, I know this cause i am a beta tester in my spare time, ALL microsoft programs and operating systems have vulnerabilities when released and it is only through the work of HATS and the complaints process that enables patches and service packs to be created and distributed. Every a/v package has strengths and weaknesses and they do suffer from false positives. Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't have a heuristics scanner. And to be honest, I'd rather have false positives than no heuristics at all. Especially combined with the fact that MSE sometimes doesn't update for up to 7 days, leaving you totally unprotected for any new threats released in that period. MSE False positives are very minimal in OneCare even in proactive (heuristic based detections) according to av comparatives testing. MS Security Essentials is built off the same technology as the discontinued OneCare. It is a more simpler version of it and it does not auto defrag, or temp clean like onecare, but it is a free product.

So which software are you using to control the feed to the tv?
One bit of kit I love is the external cd/dvd writer with litescribe. Its good not to have to mess around writing on cd's or printing labels. I read somewhere that there are full colour ones in the pipeline.
I've already got one fitted internaly mate, does all that. Recordes on to Dual Layer DVD's too so thats 8.5Gb storage potential.

The Screen as it is or will be is going to be connected via a Dvi-D cable (the Graphics card is Dual Link capable) and i'm guessing the Ms Media Center software works with the Tv tuner cards software to control the Tv (i've not tried yet as I cant fit the new Pc in were I want it until I get the new screen)

spec wise it goes like this;

Tv-tuner card: Pinnacle 3010ix PCTv Dual Hybrid Pro PVR Pci-e DVB-T / Analogue Tv tuner.

Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 9400GT 512MB DDR2 PCi-e [Nvidia]

Think Pauls answerd the question on the anti-virus software route. Cheers mate.
I've always used AMD processors (apart from the Netbook which uses an intelAtom) i've always heard good reviews on the AMD Cpu's than the intel ones, like the fact the intels are a bit hot running....i might be wrong though.
I could have gone 64bit, the motherboard could handle that going on the accociated software, but i'm not sure if my other componnents were 64bit compatible, apparently there is a lack of 64bit drivers available so your limited to the items you can use, however it would have been ideal for its increased memory capability (aparently that is 16 Tb of RAM:yikes:)

AMD 64bit processors are a favorite with gamers but provide little extra to the 32bit for basic use, I may be wrong but this looks like a jukebox setup more than anything so the 64bit would just be a waste of money as you would not use its capacity effectively. I like intel the pentium range is extremely good used correctly, AMD have always been a favorite with people who want the added speed ratings, usually for gaming but other than that it is basically down to favoured choice. (y)

As with most things youy pay for what you get, a subscription means that you get regular updates and as viruses, worms and trojans and the like are being created daily it is worth keeping uptodate with security software. Microsoft have never released a program that has been completely locked down, I know this cause i am a beta tester in my spare time, ALL microsoft programs and operating systems have vulnerabilities when released and it is only through the work of HATS and the complaints process that enables patches and service packs to be created and distributed. Every a/v package has strengths and weaknesses and they do suffer from false positives. Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't have a heuristics scanner. And to be honest, I'd rather have false positives than no heuristics at all. Especially combined with the fact that MSE sometimes doesn't update for up to 7 days, leaving you totally unprotected for any new threats released in that period. MSE False positives are very minimal in OneCare even in proactive (heuristic based detections) according to av comparatives testing. MS Security Essentials is built off the same technology as the discontinued OneCare. It is a more simpler version of it and it does not auto defrag, or temp clean like onecare, but it is a free product.
Just wanted to point out that windows 7 does auto defrag and clean the temporary files automatically sorry for any confusion that may have been caused (y)

im on the build for a media pc now for the TV and going to make it a bit of a gamer as well..

Got a few bits lying around im going to build up..

2.8 quad core Intel
4gb ram
2x 1tb sata in Raid
got an offer of a half decent graphics card ( model number eludes me)
5.1 surround
gonna get a blu ray ram drive for it and have a lightscribe internal already
Got a DVB-C card to pick up cable

cobble together a water cooling kit from my old setup as I hate fans..

my old toy

P070209_1028_01.jpg

P080209_1710.jpg

P080209_1710_01.jpg

:LOL: I do have at the minute.. except its in the loft.. my home network consists of..

p4 2ghz in the loft set up as a network switch connected to a watchguard firebox connected to a 50mb virgin connection for the web work and forum use.. I patch certain amounts of the forum straight from my home server at the minute for a trial. 2 tb of storage on there.

the desktop above downstairs is in my "lab" various things plugged into that. Willem PIC progger, logging tools and various other things. That shares the 50mb connection.

Desktop in the back bedroom used as a media streamer for cat to listen to music on.

3 laptops. one for me one for the wife and the tablet. They run off a 8mb ADSL connection. Its all a mess and with the ease win 7 gives for sharing stuff im going to sell a load of it and build up one home network.

:LOL: now thats the sort of set up I thought you'd have Bob ;), water cooling is a good idea.

I remember when we had a new server case delivered to John Lewis (when I worked there) most of the staff thought it was a new refrigerator ;) being a large black meshed case, I didn't as i'd been alowed access to the network room, there must have been about 10 of the things in there, but what can you expect with the ammount of POS systems, PC's, Security Cameras etc. in an average Department store.

Going back to the wireless keyboard, it works fine, however I've now come to the "human" problem, I cant get more than 6foot from the screen or I cant see the characters :rolleyes5: unless I make the font very large which would look a bit daft or change the screen reolution which kinda deafeats the object :confused:
This is being typed on a 19" screen running at 1440 x 900 @ 59Hz [96 Dpi]