New member, bought my first Cougar.

ASoggyNaanBread

Club Member
May 24, 2022
Swindon
Good morning. I bought my first Cougar yesterday. I’m enjoying it so far. Has anyone on here previously owned it or know any history of the car?

I’ve also been told by some other Cougar owners that the mud guards are rare? Does anyone else on here have them on their Cougars or know any info on them?

I’m looking forward to discussing Cougars. (Not the mature women). Thanks.
A8A23B21-6830-4B20-BB12-4B10395B6320.jpeg8D0115B3-0385-4387-956B-3691FB4B5005.jpegC2645FF0-ADD7-4459-B6C7-6D068761AF6D.jpegEAB58E02-C79B-442A-9EA2-D1444B5FB83C.jpegAC67BA3E-600D-466E-9DA7-BE202022D08A.jpegE1DABDDC-FE70-4C19-A3DD-04500C59AB42.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum.
That looks to be a tidy example you have there.
The reg. no. doesn't appear in our owner's list but that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been previously owned by someone on the forum.
The mudflaps aren't particularly rare but are obviously harder to get hold of nowadays.
Enjoy your stay and hope to catch up with you sometime. (y)

Reactions: ASoggyNaanBread
Hello and welcome.
Nice looking car.
As Andy said flaps aren't particularly rare, what is probably harder to get hold of is a nice condition set of mats like you appear to have. (y)

Thank you for all the replies👍. I have a few random questions.

Are there any Cougar meets/events? If so where/when are the meets/events? I’m Swindon based.

Second question is, how/where can I get hold of some Cougar logo front and rear badges? I’ve seen a few Uk Cougars with the badges on.

Lastly, what place/places can I get mods/parts for Cougars from? Are there any mods worth doing? Exhausts, alloys, strut braces, induction kits, etc. I would prefer those type of mods rather than extravagant ones such as body kits, spoilers, etc.

Thanks.
Post automatically merged:

That's an excellent looking car, and a superb username also 😉😂

Welcome 👍
Thanks mate.

Last edited:
I'm not too far from you along the M4 in South Glos. As a Club we attend a number of shows during the year with Castle Combe in April being probably the nearest to you. A couple of us are attending the Wye Valley Ford Show in a fortnight or so and Blackpool Ford Day in September is also popular. Details of the shows can be found in the Event Section along with our annual camping weekend; Cougarfest.

Have you seen oval Cougar badges overlayed on to the Ford badge or round Cougar badges? The latter are usually sourced from the US on front grilles where the Cougar was marketed as a Mercury rather than a Ford. Rear roundels are either Mercury badges or Cougar head badges off the front grilles or wheel centres from the US.

@TopCat1127 might be able to help you with the oval overlays.

For a selection of alloys people have fitted see here:

and spoilers here:

There is a substantial section dealing with all sorts of mods in the members section.
The forum has a stash of spare parts available to subscribed members for a donation to club funds. (y)

I'm not too far from you along the M4 in South Glos. As a Club we attend a number of shows during the year with Castle Combe in April being probably the nearest to you. A couple of us are attending the Wye Valley Ford Show in a fortnight or so and Blackpool Ford Day in September is also popular. Details of the shows can be found in the Event Section along with our annual camping weekend; Cougarfest.

Have you seen oval Cougar badges overlayed on to the Ford badge or round Cougar badges? The latter are usually sourced from the US on front grilles where the Cougar was marketed as a Mercury rather than a Ford. Rear roundels are either Mercury badges or Cougar head badges off the front grilles or wheel centres from the US.

@TopCat1127 might be able to help you with the oval overlays.

For a selection of alloys people have fitted see here:

and spoilers here:

There is a substantial section dealing with all sorts of mods in the members section.
The forum has a stash of spare parts available to subscribed members for a donation to club funds. (y)
Thanks mate, that’s all immensely helpful.
I’ve seen both types of the badging on different cougars on here and had no luck when searching for any of them; I must have been looking in the wrong places.

Reactions: Quicksilver
I reckon they're much the same. I use Pipercross panel filters in all my cars, but that's because they're what my preferred supplier sells, I've used K&N before with perfectly acceptable results.
The Pipercross is currently £20 cheaper than the K&N on Euro Car Parts. If they are mostly the same result then the Pipercross makes more sense.
Post automatically merged:

Welcome - that's a tidy looking Melina you have there (the best colour, I'm not biased!).
Thanks mate. Have you got any pictures of your Cougar?

Last edited:
Reactions: backseateducation
Performance wise I don't think there is any real difference between the two - just beware if the Pipercross has been overloaded with the oil, you may need to dry it off a bit before fitting.