RIP Chris

Today was a very mixed experience for me. On the one hand it was obviously moving and something that nobody ever wants to do, on the other it was a fantastic turnout by the club. The sheer quantity of cars and the distances the drivers of them had travelled really was a tangible illustration of how well regarded Chris was and that UKCougar.com is so much more than just a car club. If Chris could have seen what went on today, particularly the seeingly endless snake of Cougars in the cortege and then the car park at The Leopard afterwards, I can't help but think he'd have been impressed.

My thanks go to Tim for allowing us to share in this most personal of days, but also to each and every member of this fantastic club of ours who came together and made today what it was.

I've been sat at the computer a while, trying to put into words how supporting and comforting the presence of so many friends in the club from so far afield has been to me today. If I were to thank each one individually for their own part in all manner of things which helped out - wreath, ribbons, driving, photos.... - it would be a long post. But perhaps it's also more appropriate for me to thank everyone collectively, as a club. It's when so many fantastic people come together as friends, who - as has been said - happen to own the same sort of car, that the result really is amazing. Truly more than the sum of the parts.

By remembering Chris together with you all today, it has made even more vivid those happy memories I have of him. Chris, as we all know, was never happier than when helping out. It is thanks to the club that I now have a wonderful encapsulation of one of those memories: that photograph of Chris with his face beaming with joy and pride, holding the award the club won at Tatton Park. That photo now looks over me at home, and it's impossible to stay sad for too long, with that face grinning at me like that.

Thank you just doesn't begin to cover it.

So many emotions today. The apprehension of getting into the car this morning, knowing my destination. Meeting everyone at the retail park in preperation to convoy to Chris and Tim's to join the cortege.
What a sight to see, as i turned the corner and saw absolutely nothing but cougars all the way up that hill and turning left at the top. I could almost hear Chris's exitable voice at the sight of it. Sitting in the car alone gives time for silent reflection of what this man meant to me personally, the times we met and the laughs we had, the days Chris and Tim spent travelling back and forth to my house to get the kit painted and fitted, and all three of us struggling to get that rear bumper to fit, epic days i'll never forget. I gave myself a minute of remeniscing at the Leopard car park at Chris's cougar and the time we spent working on it together, and seeing it gleam in the low sun.
The service was imo very informative of Chris's younger days and i had to hold back my emotions. I wanted to say an audible "goodbye" but when i said it, it came out as a half choked whisper. From that point on i was virtually unable to speak to anyone till after i got out of the car at the Leopard.
We all did Chris proud today, i know what this club meant to Chris, and i know how proud he was to be a member, and i am sure he would approve of that massive cougar snake trailing all over Leamington.
My hat comes off to Tim for such composure on what is truly a sad and painful day for him and to RichB for taking the control of Chris's cougar, it was a fitting tribute to see Chris's car heading off in front, and also for the photo's supplied to everyone in the cortege. Also a thanks to Matt for the supply of ribbons for the ariel masts, that was a moving sight from the back of the cortege, all those ribbons flying in unison.

Sleep well Chris.

Tim. We will always be here for you and I hope you choose to remain part of the family that we have here. Thanks are not needed as all of us today wanted to pay respect to a friend and support another. I cannot think of anywhere else I would have rather been. :)

i've just read the last few messages and it's brought me to tears, you all did him proud today, i just wish i could have come along aswell, well done you lot, this is why i love being a member of a car club, especially this one now, thanks for making it so special, all the very best to you Tim, hope to see you all soon :love::love::love:

Today was the day that time thawed, from the 4th of January 'Warthog Tragedy' thread that I believe that I was one of the first to read, time has been frozen. I don't profess to be Chris's best friend from within the club, how could I? but the shock of losing somebody who has played a big part in some memorable weekends, along with Tim, really knocked both of us for six. If christmas 2011 was our amphetamine, then surely January 4th 2012 was our Vallium. Back to earth with a bump.
It was heartening to see so many cougars gathered to give our friend a good send off, also to support his partner Tim on this most difficult of days. As all will know, I volunteered to drive Chris's car, if anybody had wanted to drive the car and Tim had asked them, then I wouldn't have minded, but it was an honour for me to do it. To look back in the wing mirrors and see those most feline of headlamps glaring for as far as I could see was a spine tingling moment, as was the moment at the Leopard when we saw the tailback that the cars had caused on the way. A car park containing 21 cougars was a stunning sight.
It's always been about the people for us, from when we popped our cherry in june 2005 at the Modified Nationals to Today when we paid our respects to our friend who we first met in Birmingham at a Christmas meet 4 or 5 years ago.
If today has served any purpose beyond saying goodbye to Chris, it's to galvanise our love of this club and our good friends that we've met by being part of it.
Ria cried from start to finish during the service, I had my moments too, it was nice to chat with people at the Leopard afterwards and even, on the saddest of days, raise a laugh or two.

It was nice to finally talk to Si, Rich elliott too (Ria didn't say what I said, I was acting the clown), Viv (Haven't seen her in ages) Andy and Karen (Have very fond memories of Tatton) Bobster (Love the car in white), Kully, Jason, Mark, Tony, Karen, Manos, Alan, Geoff, Iain and 'The lad', Dan (complete with shoes), Dick (Big effort) Steve, Rikedwards, Tim (& Rachel), Mike & George, Ginja and anybody who I haven't mentioned. nice to see all of our friends, past, present and future.
Let's us hope that Tim now comes to terms with the events of the last two weeks, as difficult as it will be. My apologies to him if I waffled during the journeys today.

Take care everybody, let's all move forward and celebrate the life of Chris by building on what he and Tim achieved during their time as Events organisers, as friends.

It's taken me the best part of an hour to get this lump out of my throat and hold back the tears reading this, I am deeply sad i could not make it today, The display of love for a person who shared a interest and love in a car that has bought us all together is amazing and it's one reason why so many people find them selves coming back to UKCougar..
This kind of thing makes this club one of a kind.. and i love being part of it, I have what i would count as some decent friends from being part of this and i am proud..
Nearly everything i want to say has already been said..
Sleep well Chris ..

Over various meets, Chris and I used to bump into each other and just chat, not very often about Cougars i might add lol which i almost always found very comforting, that there was someone other than all the nutters that are in this club that would just talk normal bollox lol (seems we were both fluent haha) music, weather, friends, places, just about anything, hell even birthdays as ours were so close together, but at the moment i am completely blown away by the appreciation and (theres no other word) Love for each other there is in this club.
Its taken all day for this to sink in, but now it has, i'm just astounded and overwhelmed by today, from getting in Goblin (which was hard enough) to seeing Stripes turn up with Karen and Manos, to watching a freight train of frosty, blurple, black, green, white and tango, all with headlights on, and having a quiet tear with Tim just before we left (Please stay with us Tim, we would miss you too)
Driving Daves old cat today, i felt i was very privelidged to own a car that has been so very well looked after for most of its life, and also very privelidged to have been part of yet another glorious send off to a very valued club member, and mostly, FRIEND.
RIP Chris, you have left a huge hole in all our lives and we will miss you, keep on rollin mate
Tony (TopCat1127)

Being the first Cougar bod in the chapel and hearing that Boston tune "More than a feeling" brought a smile to my face and I knew Chris would be up their with his air guitar giving it some. (y)

I'm not much of an emotional person in these curcumstances so its not for me to say otherwise, but that convoy of Cougars was something else :)

See you again my friend :oops:

What can I add that hasn`t already been said so eloquently by others ?

Fantastic turnout on a very sad day which I am sure made Tim proud. Beautiful, dignified (expected nothing else from Tim) service which described Chris` life perfectly, the first reading especially poignant, he will be watching over us from up above

It is hard to put into words how bitter I am that such a good man has been taken from us, my eyes are leaking again as I write this and remember the days events.

It wasn`t until I walked in to the crematorium and saw the coffin that I realised how much it meant to me to be there to celebrate Chris` life and support Tim and the family

Chris lived for helping people, it was especially moving to see his old work colleagues reduced to tears (as were so many grown men) and he will live on in our memories all of which are exceptional, nobody has a bigger smile or heart

It is down to us now to continue the legacy that he has left and take the club (that I am proud to be a tiny part of) forward from here which will not be easy. If we don`t he will give us hell!!

Rest in peace Chris, it is far too early but you deserve it

I've tried typing something so many times and deleted it again because it doesn't seem enough or right partly due to my lack of eloquence with written word and partly because yesterday it all became real that Chris is no longer with us.

Tim I really do hope with time you'll feel ready to attend a meet even an informal one rather than a show Chris and yourself were the hub of a lot ( most) meets and events I have attended over the years and it would be a true pleasure to see you again in a happier circumstance.

Yesterday's events really knocked me for six seeing the turnout that was there to celebrate the far too short life Chris had and to show support for Tim on a difficult day, how Tim held himself with such dignity and grace is a true testament to Chris and his relationship, planned meticulously and it really was a fantastic service and boy did the convoy look fantastic lights ablaze on 21 cougars all unified to show our solidarity and friendship we felt towards Chris.

I feel as though I'm waffling without really achieving what I want to say so I will finish by saying how proud I feel to be able to say I knew Chris as someone I would call a friend, how proud I am too see how many people feel the same as I did towards him and felt they had to see him off.

Farewell Chris you will be missed friend.

JJ

Not waffling at all Jas, i felt the same when i was trying to think what to say. It just never seems enough whatever you say. The main thing imo is what i have in my mind of Chris, it's a feeling that can't be put into words, but we all try our best to let out what Chris meant to us all, not just as the club member we all know and love, but the man himself, a true gent, a man with a heart of gold which is very hard to find these days it seems.
I've been out in the cat this morning, i had to take Chris's photo out of the windscreen, but the ribbon stays for a while, until i feel ready to remove it. I've already been asked, "whats the ribbon for?" My reply was "FOR A FRIEND"

Same here my ribbons are still on looked at them this morning and in all honesty I just don't want to remove them not yet.

JJ

I would like to echo everyone's sentiments about what I consider to be one of the very best send off's I have ever attended. The service was meticulously planned to the point of excellence. It was educational and gave myself an insight into the life that Chris lead before I met him and was privileged enough to become one of his friends. As I said previously, I only met Chris a couple of times, but, he was the type of guy who you could easily talk to about almost anything.. He had an aura and a personality that exuded friendship every time I looked at him. He was always smiling and would always be there to offer help or assistance whenever.
The poetry reading at the service along with the choice of music certainly brought a lump to my throat and I can not lie about it, a tear or three to my eyes. As previously said, how Tim managed to hold himself together with such dignity is beyond me. If it had been me I would have been a blubbering mess.
The convoy of 21 Cougars with their lights blazing and ribbons waving was such a beautiful sight only slightly spoiled by a few interlopers who could not see or did not realise what we were up to, but, to be fair, there were quite a few motorists who did show their respect and sat back to allow us all fair passage.
Although I did meet quite a few members whom I have not had the pleasure of meeting before it was tinged with the sadness of why we were all gathered together in the first place. It was a truly sad day indeed.

R.I.P Chris ( Warthog ) Adams 1966 - 2012 Sadly taken from us a such a tender age. The legend - gone but never forgotten

It was certainly a day of mixed emotions for both of us. It was good to meet up at the retail park and see some friendly faces again. However, the reality began to dawn on us on the drive over to the cortege. I must admit to having a lump in my throat when I pulled up outside the house with the funeral car in front - Kathy was overcome with emotion too. Then there was the feeling of immense pride seeing a long, long line of Cougars in convoy all with the blue and black ribbons. I was proud to be part of it and also proud of the people of this club of ours who travelled from all over the country to be there.

The service was difficult and we were really fighting back the tears. I have to take my hat off for Tim - to remain so composed and dignified during what must have been a heartbreaking time for him. The story of Chris from childhood up to today was a really nice touch and was fascinating to learn more of him.

The huge turnout on the day was testament to the man Chris was and the effect he had on members of this great club of ours. It was a privilege to have been a part of what was a fantastic send off for Chris. The UKC family (well let's face it, yesterday alone proved it's much more than a club!) did him proud. And as some have mentioned, I hope that Tim can stay involved with the club and maybe attend some shows as he is as much a part of this family as everyone else. RIP Chris, hope we did you proud (y)

Almost forgot, massive thanks to Matt for sorting out the ribbons and to Rich for the pictures we all had in our windscreens - a very nice touch, and also to Kully for arranging for the cougar flower arrangement to be made up which looked fantastic. Mainly though, thankyou to Tim for inviting us and allowing us to say goodbye collectively to a friend - and for the first class organisation of the meetup, routes and cortege (just what we have come to expect from Tim) - all done under the most difficult of personal circumstances (y)

Now, I'm off to the over-18s section to post about Astra and Nightfreight drivers and what should done to them once they've been taken outside :eek:

Well, only a few words from me. I knew Chris only a very short time that I have been a member (and a proud one at that) of this club. Chris was always laughing and joking and was always only too pleased to switch on his "electric blue" lighting and let us all photograph and video it - to which was the very last thing I did when I last saw Chris.

The journey up to the funeral was a difficult one and one full of emotion, especially once we all arrived at the meeting point and it was difficult even just saying "hello" to all you that attended. The journey then from the retail park to the funeral was a very quiet and solem one and found it very difficult to speak to Rach who just kept passing me tissues (sorry, but I'm a soft sod lol).

Tim, I take my hat off to you, how you kept your composure all the way through was unbelievable, as per Dick's comments, I too would have been a blubbering mess. I would like to thank you on both Rachel and my behalf for allowing us to be just a small part of yours and Chris's lives and we wish you the very best for the future and hope that we will again see you at future meets.

Rachel and I toasted Chris last night with a bottle of 16 year old malt - which I know Chris was a beer man, but I'm sure he would have approved of this. We both shed some tears too.

God bless you Chris and you will always be in our hearts.

Like others have said, the ribbons on my coug are staying for quite a while, infact they were waving in the wind to Bristol and back today.

Best wishes Tim & Rachel.