Run at Bonneville Salt Flats Utah USA

Aussiecat

Well-known user
Feb 27, 2005
Bath
My son Matt is also very interested in cars and recently had a trip to the salt flats at Bonneville Utah. He and a friend took a Porsche Cayenne to run on the flats and here is how it went.

Proof they were there!

Signforthesaltflats.jpg

One pristine vehicle before the run
'Figured we should get a picture of the Porsche before we took a couple of hot passes ... just in case we didn't return it in one piece'

PorscheCayennebeforetherun.jpg

Matt's mate doing the run, surface has fair amount of water on it early in the year.

'We didn't think about how much it was going to SUCK to wash all the salt off the car after it baked on in 100 degree heat. Oops.'

Briandoinghisrun.jpg

Matt decided he likes these!

MattandCayenne.jpg

One salt encrusted vehicle after the run, now baked on in 100 degree temperature!

saltencrustedCayenne.jpg

Salt is tasty!

Bonnevillesaltistasty.jpg

Some comments from Matt on the run -

'I managed 108 MPH before the traction control went nuts and the Cayenne tried to swap ends on me. Brian managed 112, but I'm attributing that the the fact he's packing more ballast than me and ballast = traction =)
The salt was still a little wet as we were there too early in the year and the actual racetrack hadn't been cut yet.'

Question is who's CAYENNE was it? ;) The Turbo S is quite capable of 175mph, which is quite something when you realise how big they are!

Not theirs! It was hired for the occasion. They had to drive approx 700 miles to reach Bonneville from Seattle. There was, of course, other racing on as well.

:LOL: i'm sure the hire company would love them if they found out :LOL: long way to travel but then again the USA is a BIG! place

Hence the reason for giving it a good damn wash to get rid of the salt before it went back!! Salt would have been rather incriminating.......

:smile5::smile5::smile5:

Hence the reason for giving it a good damn wash to get rid of the salt before it went back!! Salt would have been rather incriminating.......

:smile5::smile5::smile5:

Ahhhh...yes, but did you jet wash all the underneath, wheel arches and engine bay??? that salt would get everywhere, especially as you said it was slightly wet :yikes::LOL:

Ahhhh...yes, but did you jet wash all the underneath, wheel arches and engine bay??? that salt would get everywhere, especially as you said it was slightly wet :yikes::LOL:

Totally agree but I was the other side of the pond when all this happened. Now you know why they did not take their own vehicles!!