Soon to be new owner... fingers crossed

G

Glen

Hi all, I'm currently looking for a cougar. Just thought I'd say hi and introduce myself on here. Should I look out for anything in particular when looking at a v6 Cougar?

Hi Glen, welcome, fairly new myself and the guys in here have been a great help. Someone more knowledgable is bound to be along shortly but this is what I was told to look for:-
  • wishbones- pretty much individual to the cougar so can be a bit pricey if need doing
  • check the sills running the side of car to make sure not rotting and letting water in
  • when taking for a drive, in a lower gear give it a little welly and at bout 4000 revs you should just about hear and feel an extra little kick (imrc i think its called)
  • while you;re doing the above, check the battery warning light doesnt flash on at about 5000 rpm as this could indicacate the alternators on its way out
  • if you can get one with a good service history its a huge bonus
hope this helps, and if you get one im sure you;ll love it(y)

Thanks for the pointers bud. Am trying to get one with decdentish mileage and service history.

yeah there a few still knocking about with decent mileage, however if you can get one with a decent s/h they're as good as gold there are some around with over 200k on them!:D

hi glen, welcome to the forum, mileage isnt too bad an issue if it has been well maintained, a lot of cars on the site are in excess of 100k, there is even some bordering the 200k, service history counts for a lot, when looking , dont be too rash, there are plenty of good cats out there, and make sure you try al the electrics, esp sunroof if it has one, known to be dodgy and costly to repair, :wink5:

Hi Glen and welcome to the club (madhouse) great bunch on here and a few laughs to be had along the way,loads of info no manuals made for cougar but all the info is either in subscriber section (£13) or the members are both knowledgeable and helpful,as well as a little mad:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: don't rush into buying,that way you should get a good one
Tony
(y)

Thanks to everyone to your encouraging words. I've found THE one that I'm getting now. I'll be collecting it a week on saturday... Can't wait!

Welcome to the forum mate, congrats on your purchase, don't forget to post up some pics when you've got it. :)

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Picked up my purring cat today!

Its a '99 (V) 2.5 v6 manual in melina blue with full leather, rear spoiler and full service history!

Very very pleased, even after spending all day collecting it! Caught train at 6.40 am, finally arrived there at 2.30 pm. spent an hour trying to get hold of him and finally got home at 9.50 pm. Luckily didn't miss a beat all the way, although after trying the sunroof at a service station it broke and wouldn't close. Apart from that perfect!!

Pictures to follow!

Welcome to the forum Glen. Enjoy your cat and make sure your check your reflection in every shop window you pass................. That grin will last for hours! :D:D:D:D