The DVLA are weird...

Well, I must have had several of those glitches that Richb was talking about, coz I have never had any problems with them. When I bought the new number plate and did the transfer I went to the DVLA office in Exeter (b*gger going to Wales!!!) and took about 10 mins to sort. I have just re-taxed the Coug on-line, sorted within 2 to 3 mins and couldn't believe my tax disc actually arrived in the post 2 days later!!!! So, I feel for everyone else who hasn't had that type of service.

What happened with us was that we sent the transfer off as soon as we bought the car along with the appropriate paperwork, we sent it all by royal mail special delivery to ensure it happened quickly, Iam not sure of the time frame but it was documented on here at the time but they had our paperwork and still issued i new V5 in Ria's name with the old registration on, even though hey'd started processing our paperwork. The whole process took far longer than it should have and meant we'd forked out a fiver in postage for nothing, plus Ria drove to Chester in the end to the regional office.

due to the overwhelming influx of new pass drivers and licence registraition, the dvla are trying to update and increase thier data bases to deal with the demands. hahahahahaha!!! considering by the way the goverment made cut backs on staff i think it was 500? oh its gonna be a bumpy ride !!! hehehe! by the way!! perhaps the cougar club can join david cameroooons BIG S! we could run the dvla? (mmm ok )

I've never had a problem with DVLA, whether it was re-registering my Corsa when I moved back to the UK from Germany, putting the private plates on both of our cars or taxing online, it's all been painless, simple and straightforward. The only problem I've ever had was when trying to tax my first Cougar at the post office years ago, they defined inefficiency and incompetence.

I sold a car last year and promptly sent the v5 off (probably about a week after), a couple of weeks later I got two letters from the DVLA on the same morning.

I opened the first which said we're going to fine you for not notifying us that you sold your vehicle, I then opened the second which was the confirmation that they had received my notifcation that I had sold the vehicle.

I phoned to enquire and was told that that the fine letter was sent automatically because the new owner had reported that they had not received the v5, so they send the fine warning letter to hurry you up - even though they'd had the confirmation for a good two weeks.

I sold a car last year and promptly sent the v5 off (probably about a week after), a couple of weeks later I got two letters from the DVLA on the same morning.

I opened the first which said we're going to fine you for not notifying us that you sold your vehicle, I then opened the second which was the confirmation that they had received my notifcation that I had sold the vehicle.

I phoned to enquire and was told that that the fine letter was sent automatically because the new owner had reported that they had not received the v5, so they send the fine warning letter to hurry you up - even though they'd had the confirmation for a good two weeks.

LOL....I don't really think the work "promptly" and sending off the doc's a week after go together. Personally as soon as I sell a vehicle the paperwork goes straight into the post that day/night. That way they can't turn around and send me any letters stating I haven't notified them. I have sold 4 cars over the last 3 or 4 years and have never received any warning letters at all. So my advice is stick it straight in the post as soon as you have the cash in your pocket and the new owner has driven the vehicle away. Here endith the lesson lol!!!!

I left it a week as it was a bit of a problem car, I sold it cheap and had told them about the problems etc but I half expected it back! Never heard from them and it's still taxed according to dvla so I guess they sorted it!

A week is quite prompt given that you have 4 weeks to do it ;)