Trip to Oxford to view possible FREE cougars

The early ones has all the funky stuff.....later BXs had more standard controls and normal indicator stalks instead of the rocker switch

I suspect your thinking CX, my BX was just ordinary dials, cracking hydraulic suspension though, as per CX and its predecessors.

Maybe you're right, but the only other Citroen he had for a while was the XM and I don't think it was that?

Steve is right, early BXs had the tumbler dials etc, i think up to the facelift in 86/87. My history teacher's B-reg one had them, whereas my mate Neil's dads E-reg GTI had a much more normal setup.

Steve is right, early BXs had the tumbler dials etc, i think up to the facelift in 86/87. My history teacher's B-reg one had them, whereas my mate Neil's dads E-reg GTI had a much more normal setup.

My mother-in-law used to live in north Norfolk, before I persuaded her to move to a remote Scottish island. That is a true story, many have asked me how this was done and asked me to write a book. At that time she had a 'C' reg Citroen CX 'Prestige' which had all sorts of fancy dials and was unlike anything else I had seen or driven before. I was told it didn't have a traditional starter motor, but relied upon clever usage of the piston positions and the fuel injection to turn it over, I have no idea if that was true, but it sounded very odd when starting up. It also had a massive amount of legroom in the back. We often joked that the first owner, who ran a nightclub, had used it for 'immoral earnings', for which it would have been well suited. I didn't realise until I just googled it, that French President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing had one ! There is a suggestion that it was designed just for him !

https://driventowrite.com/2013/11/02/1976-citroen-cx-prestige-review/

I was told it didn't have a traditional starter motor, but relied upon clever usage of the piston positions and the fuel injection to turn it over, I have no idea if that was true, but it sounded very odd when starting up.

That's entirely possible. And if it's true, it means they beat Mazda to the punch by three decades.

The CX-5 (and probably some other models using the Skyactive technology) always stop with piston #1 at 90[SUP]o[/SUP] after TDC, and the stop-start system relies on an inlet charge being present in that cylinder. To start, it just fires the plug.

Skyactive cars do have a starter motor as well of course, and I assume the CX did as well because there is no way that system would work after being left overnight, or when being restarted hot after, say, an hour or so.

Had a quick look at the Ardington property today, scaffolding up and builders on site. You never know, there might be some movement on the other site one day!

Would be a shame for them to sit there forever :( im sure at least one of them can be saved!

Given their disposition, I suspect that these Cougars will only survive if there's someone out there so dedicated and so stupid that they'll replace every mechanical part necessary, and do all the welding that they'll inevitably need.

I don't know anyone that idiotic.

If I had the time I probally would be :LOL:

I wonder if the C2 is still in the garage?

Checked the MOT status on that one and the other ebony and they havent been taken to the very kind or blind MOT station that the other ebony got a pass at

Given their disposition, I suspect that these Cougars will only survive if there's someone out there so dedicated and so stupid that they'll replace every mechanical part necessary, and do all the welding that they'll inevitably need.

I don't know anyone that idiotic.

Hi there, I'm Sam and it's a pleasure to meet you :LOL: