What Have You Done to Your Cougar Today?

well done! its nice when an mot guy comments on all your hard work...
nowdays the mot puts the fear of god in me...always a battle now as they will fail for stupid stuff...melina once failed cause her indicators were too orange :rolleyes: :LOL:

Thanks for all the kind words, much appreciated. Iā€™m a big fan of using the same independent garage year in year out, he has MOTd all my cars for 30 years or more. Always fair, Iā€™ve had failures in the past when thereā€™s something going on that Iā€™m not aware of. Always reasonable too, I doubt it would fail on the indicator being too orange !
He knows I look after my cars to the best of my ability, he also knows heā€™ll get the work when I donā€™t want it myself.
As with life, itā€™s all about relationships.

Took mine in for mot on Friday Failed !!! The normal bloke was busy so he put me with a young upstart who either didnā€™t like me or the car, or just trying to prove himself! Went over it like it was a brand nice motor! Front drop link rubber and bottom ball joint rubbers split or deteriorating, both changed two years ago! Trailing arm bushes deteriorating, ok give him that one! Advisories, front brake discs pitted or rusty, a joke! Perfect condition maybe light rust in between the vents, well they are steel! Done about 3000 miles max! Slight oil leak on engine, the remnants of changing the alternator and power steering pump the week before! Iā€™m sure he was pisā€”d off that he could find anything else wrong with a 22 year old car!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: backseateducation
I can sympathise with a youngster who is afraid for his licence to MOT / work but it still feels tough when itā€™s your pride and joy on the receiving end.
I had similar a few years ago. I pulled the displaced rubber on the track rod end back into place, did something else trivial and she passed a week later.
The problem is just lack of experience and heā€™ll only get that by seeing these cars again. Well done on a hypothetical pass, thatā€™s just nuts and bolts so easy fix. If youā€™ve done alty and PS pump then a few sussy bits is a walk in the park.

Reactions: shirtyzeus
Took mine in for mot on Friday Failed !!! The normal bloke was busy so he put me with a young upstart who either didnā€™t like me or the car, or just trying to prove himself! Went over it like it was a brand nice motor! Front drop link rubber and bottom ball joint rubbers split or deteriorating, both changed two years ago! Trailing arm bushes deteriorating, ok give him that one! Advisories, front brake discs pitted or rusty, a joke! Perfect condition maybe light rust in between the vents, well they are steel! Done about 3000 miles max! Slight oil leak on engine, the remnants of changing the alternator and power steering pump the week before! Iā€™m sure he was pisā€”d off that he could find anything else wrong with a 22 year old car!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its almost like they just have to find something...and whats more annoying is most newer cars are in worst shape and less cared for than our cougs. but just because its old they have to get shirty with it:mad:
dont get me wrong if an mot guy finds a broken spring or a track rod end wobbling im glad hes spotted something ive missed and pat him on the back but when they fail for something stupid like a stain of oil on the sump on a 23 year old car they tend to see the dark side of mee.
ill never forget once i let my dash cam running for an mot and it recorded him saying he hates old cars and has to find something wrong with it...i politely told him to šŸ¤¬šŸ˜” and shove his mot...
the only thing i would say tho is check everything hes marked it down for ,i had some 1 year old droplinks fail for that very reason and it turned out the rubber WAS šŸ¤¬ and had rotted away..
not much to worry about tho mate, easily sorted(y)

Reactions: mjp100drums
If these youngsters have come up through Halfords or ATS type chain garages then you canā€™t blame them.

Chain garages treat the MOT as a cash cow, a source of revenue. The testers are trained to spot any possible source of revenue.
Your independent will have a similar model. As a first test they donā€™t know you or the car, they go with caution, are you an inspector testing their testing regime ?

You could be someone desperate to keep their car on the road and genuinely want / need the garage knowledge and skill set. Will they come back next year ? Maybe yes maybe no.
The independent garage is a stand alone business, they need to balance revenue and work load, hopefully theyā€˜ll treat you fairly.

12 months later. ā€œ Hi, how are you, you tested my car last year can you check her out again for me ? I think sheā€™s OK but you guys will look closerā€
The garage thinks ā€œa returning customer, if I get this right theyā€™ll come back againā€œ
Any business loves a repeat customer.

When a business gets to the point that they donā€™t need to rely on anything other than their regulars, and you are on that list then both you and the independent garage are in a good place.
Iā€™ve said it before, Iā€™ll say it again. Support your local independent and leave the chain garages to those who donā€™t care about their cars.
We do. trust me, it works.

Last edited:
That's a shame Mick but too bad.
For the last few years I've let my mechanic take my cars for their mots, he only charges Ā£20 plus the cost of the test Ā£25.
So far I've only ever had one fail on a minor issue, the mot station know they won't be getting the work for any fail issues.
Makes you wonder if at times they find faults to get some work.
My Cougar goes in on 23rd so fingers crossed my theory holds up. šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜

Poose, As Iā€™m sure you know of course they ā€œ find faults to get some workā€
Its a business, itā€™s what businesses do.

Am I a business owner ? No, but Iā€™ve run my own section within many a business for 20+ plus years. My section has always been profitable, I know how small business works.

I used to run a small works section. The MD repeatedly told me I needed to increase my charges as other section of the business were losing money.
I told him my section made money because I costed it right and delivered as promised. After numerous years and similar conversations I handed my notice in. He offered more money, he offered a better package.
So now the guy you have criticised for years is suddenly worth more? I thanked him for the compliment and left.
Best thing I ever did.

Last edited:
Reactions: nvingo
I always take mine to the 'official' MOT place that only does MOTs and zero other work. Park my car up with all the council vans and always get a fair test. Downside is you have to pay the maximum government rate of circa Ā£54

Reactions: mabo
That I like David. Might be hard to build relationships though.
I worked in an official MOT station Years ago.
ā€ cattle trucks are the worst , always covered in excrement and urine and the owners canā€™t understand why they are rotten.ā€
Itā€™s a small housing estate now. ( he didnā€™t say excrement and urine but I guess you know that )

Last edited:
Reactions: David`
Filled the tank. Most I've ever paid in one go, even than the motorhome.
I almost checked underneath for the leak!
55.55l .at Ā£1.317/litre.
Ā£73.16