Hours of fun with a grinder

lottysvdub

Well-known user
Jul 29, 2007
South coast in a cougar
As some of you know ive been doing some work for paul on his beloved cougar , well we finaly got it through its mot back in september , since then we have been doing bits and peices as and when we could ( weather permitting )
One of the biggest jobs was to remove the old side skirts that were blended in to the panel work and didnt look good , this job i will admit ive been dreading as body works not really my thing but i did promise paul i would have a go so finaly today with the sun out and the air temp at 5c i attacked the beastie with a grinder and a decent air sander , i started about 11am and finaly gave up and called it a day when my back couldnt take anymore at 4pm .

1st the drivers side

12122009017.jpg

12122009018.jpg

12122009018.jpg

Then the passenger side

12122009020.jpg

the filler on this side was about 1 inch thick :affraid:

12122009022.jpg

12122009022.jpg

12122009021.jpg

and then a quick coat of primer to stop any nastys getting in to the fresh metalwork

12122009025.jpg

12122009026.jpg

Now when i next have a few hours its on with the replacement Roush side skirts and rear valence then finaly off to paint

Yeuch... rather you than me mate! I do sometimes wonder how far sighted some people are when the decide to get this stuff done in the first place.

I recall one ex-forum member who got a full bodykit fitted, insisted that the bumpers, wheelarch flares etc were all blended in against most peoples' advice, then couldn't get onto the brake rollers for an MOT due to ground clearance, and couldn't just remove the front bumper either because it was now part of the rest of the car.

I guess I just kinda wish people wouldn't do things so 'permanent' to cars. It's always much harder to undo these bright ideas than it is to do them!

Hows the back? Bet you still can't feel your fingers...

LOL my backs knackered and will be for the next couple of days im sure , ive had issues with it for a while now :smile5:
and yup your right im just starting to get the feeling back in my fingers
there all tingley :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:.
Im sure paul would say that when the kit was set to be originaly fitted he didnt expect it to come back blended in , im sure the previous work was done by Stevie Wonder and a couple of guide dogs :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

carnt wait to see it when its finished and im sure pauls just dying to get back in it and drive it (y)

IF the bodyshop just did that without him asking I'd go nuts! You'd think they're know how problematic it can be - and how hard it is to do a good job!

Still, it'll look great with the Roush skirts on, and they just look good without any pots of Isopon being brought out :LOL:

In response to the work that was done jamie, most people who know the full story of the problems with car will know its not what we asked for and was devestated when it returned like that, we have had to suffer the embarrasment and the mickey taken out of our cougar for two years, so thanks for your words of wisdom, i just hope this never happens to anyone.

I do send my biggest thanks to Ian who has over the months been patient, worked so very very hard, has advised us well, supported us when we wanted to scrap it and above all been a true friend and ill never be able to say thanks enough, you are a star.

Kerry

In response to the work that was done jamie, most people who know the full story of the problems with car will know its not what we asked for and was devestated when it returned like that, we have had to suffer the embarrasment and the mickey taken out of our cougar for two years, so thanks for your words of wisdom, i just hope this never happens to anyone.

I do send my biggest thanks to Ian who has over the months been patient, worked so very very hard, has advised us well, supported us when we wanted to scrap it and above all been a true friend and ill never be able to say thanks enough, you are a star.

Kerry

Do you have a 'before' pic for comparison?

Kerry

That's such a shame they did that to your car!

Ian's a handy man though, and it'll look superb once it's all sorted out (y)(y)

Im positive now it will be, there have been alot of times when i thought it was just scrap now first time ive seen paul smile in a long time when talking about his car.

Kerry

cant wait until its done paul and kez! and i bet ian cant either, mostly to get it off his lawn. i think the overgrown grass for carpet look will be good too!

How did you manage to get the paint to stick to the rear mud flaps?

The skirt looks like a very poor fit is there a reason for the gap just behind the front mud flap

Yes there is a reason for the gap, we had two new wings put on and the bottom of the side skirts were taken off with the old wings!!!

as for the mud flaps i keyed them with a fine sand paper about 3-4 coats of primer 3-4 coats of colour and several coats of lacquer.

Last edited:
well today is the day the "silver lady" comes home

its been a long 7 months without her i feel like she's been away at sea or somethig lol

i feel like its christmas all over again i've been awake since 5 this morning:yikes:

she's not finished yet she still needs to go off for painting but hey at least i can look at her every morning again.

so once again thankyou all for your support
and a MASSIVE THANKYOU to ian (lottysvdub) for all your work(y)

(HAPPY MOTORING EVERYONE)!!!!!!!:smile5:

Hope it all works out for you, that didn't look so hot in the photograph, must have been the car equivelent of walking around with a basin cut! The Roush kit is nice too, subtle.:smilewinkgrin:

This is the only pic i've got from when we removed the towbar, and it really doesnt show what that butcher done to pauls car, it was bloody heartbreaking to see the look on pauls face whenever he looked at it!!!
This is massive praise to paul for holding out against all the odds, and hoping that someday he'll catch up with said bloke!!!
As for ian, mate you've taken on a massive task to bring pauls cat back into the land of the living, awesome job mate, i saw how much filler was on pauls car and cringed, but even i didnt think it was that much!!!
Top job guys, huge praise to both of you, perhaps now, paul and kerry can smile at their cat again. (wheels are still here dude, so dont worry)

DSC00635.jpg