SVT-ST200 Upgrade (56k beware)

FlamencoAssassin

Well-known user
Sep 9, 2004
4,286
967
Cambridgeshire
Been having some fun today with Tony 'cyrano1127' rebuilding my engine with some new bits. :eek:

The parts...

SVT UIM
This arrived from the states in a rather battered condition so I thought 'why not get it repainted'. So off I went to the place that refurbed my wheels for a fresh powdercoat.
I forgot to take photos of when it arrived but after it was blasted I handed it over to Tony to repair the two pipes that were broken (PCV & IACV). This is the blasted look.
IMGP5278800x600.jpg

Stiil dirty inside too
IMGP5284800x600.jpg


On Saturady I picked it up with its fesh powdercoat and gave it a damn good clean. Nice and smooth. 8)
IMGP5305800x600.jpg

IMGP5307800x600.jpg


Unfortunately all the degreaser and carb cleaner left stains on the paint/laquer. :eek: :cry:
Thanks to some valuable advice from Kully and several hours of polishing I retuned it back to its new colour and sparkle.
IMGP5306800x600.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention, I din't see the point in painting it black again. :LOL:

SVT/ST200 Throttle Body
IMGP5330800x600.jpg

IMGP5331800x600.jpg


K&N Panel Filter, ST200 Bellows, ST200 Dual Port Airbox and bracket
IMGP5334800x600.jpg


Other parts included ST200 throttle cable and bracket, ST200 air temp sensor, new vacuum pipe connectors, various gaskets etc.


The obligatory 'Before Picture'
IMGP5309800x600.jpg

Manifolds removed :eek:
IMGP5314800x600.jpg

IMGP5316800x600.jpg

IMGP5320800x600.jpg

Dirty LIM
IMGP5317800x600.jpg

Old UIM and TB
IMGP5318800x600.jpg

Tony cleaning the LIM
IMGP5321800x600.jpg

Clean and dirty ports side by side
IMGP5326800x600.jpg

Clean LIM
IMGP5327800x600.jpg

New gaskets ready
IMGP5328800x600.jpg

LIM fitted
IMGP5329800x600.jpg

Tony loves his photo being taken :LOL:
IMGP5335800x600.jpg

TB & IACV assembled to UIM
IMGP5337800x600.jpg

Fuel rail loom had to be secured by cable ties due to the brittle plastic connector clips breaking during removal. That loom ain't goin' nowhere.
IMGP5338800x600.jpg

UIM fitted and back on with the IMRC
IMGP5341800x600.jpg

Time to test the throttle cable
Closed
IMGP5343800x600.jpg

Wide open!!! :D :p
IMGP5342800x600.jpg

Standard airbox bracket
IMGP5345800x600.jpg

ST200 airbox bracket
IMGP5346800x600.jpg

Yes I said 'ST200'! :LOL:
IMGP5347800x600.jpg

Ready to roll
IMGP5348800x600.jpg

Just a minute, time for some badges
IMGP5350800x600.jpg

IMGP5352800x600.jpg

IMGP5355800x600.jpg

IMGP5356800x600.jpg

IMGP5357800x600.jpg


She started first time but there was a loud hissing and the idle kept going up and down. Tony had forgot to fit the PCV valve tube.
Once connected, off we went to train the ECU for 10+ miles.
On the first blip of the throttle the revs climbed much higher than I was expecting. The induction note is subtle but very satisfying especialy when the secondaries open. Overall the throttle is noticeably more responsive. I'm happy. :D :D :D :D

I'd like to say a big thank you to Tony for all his hard work and expertise. Hope you and Helen are enjoying that vodka.
Also thanks to Kully and Rick-(FrostyV6) for your help and advice.
Cheers! :D
 
Z

Z EX

Top job guys, looks fantastic.

Are you planning to put it on the rollers, to see if you've unleashed any extra ponies?

Ian
 
S

skindemon

good work Manos 8)

Is the LIM on the ST200 not different to accomodate the larger ports on the UIM?
 

FlamencoAssassin

Well-known user
Sep 9, 2004
4,286
967
Cambridgeshire
Thanks guys. :D

Z EX said:
Are you planning to put it on the rollers, to see if you've unleashed any extra ponies?
That thought has crossed my mind but I don't know anywhere nearby. Maybe it's time to organise another rolling road day for the club?

skindemon said:
Is the LIM on the ST200 not different to accomodate the larger ports on the UIM?
As I have a later V6 my LIM already has the same size ports as the SVT/ST200 LIM. :D According to the US forum, the larger LIM was standard for cars built after May '99. Not sure if that's the car or engine build date (probably engine as my engine has a date stamp approx 2/3 months older than the car).

Pid_16V said:
will we see it at TRAX? :LOL:
You bet you will! :D
 

V6SINGH

Official UKCougar Stuntman
Jul 29, 2005
5,710
1,103
BE11 3ND
Top job Manos!! Glad you got there in the end!! :D Looks fantastic, looking forward to seeing it Sunday :wink:
 
S

skindemon

FlamencoAssassin said:
As I have a later V6 my LIM already has the same size ports as the SVT/ST200 LIM. :D According to the US forum, the larger LIM was standard for cars built after May '99. Not sure if that's the car or engine build date (probably engine as my engine has a date stamp approx 2/3 months older than the car).


fair enough! good work :)

I'll probably come over on Sunday and have a gander!
 
C

ccindex

She looks great, I've been wanting to do the same myself, but lack of cash has always stopped me.
 

ginja

Well-known user
Sep 20, 2004
9,274
406
Atherstone, North Warwickshire
FlamencoAssassin said:
Z EX said:
Are you planning to put it on the rollers, to see if you've unleashed any extra ponies?
That thought has crossed my mind but I don't know anywhere nearby. Maybe it's time to organise another rolling road day for the club?
Now thats a bloody good idea mate, sort out the boys from their TOYS :wink:

could even get another cougar feature in FastFord if we got enough people interested
 

p.whitelock

Well-known user
Jul 19, 2005
2,674
3
Middlesbrough
ginja said:
FlamencoAssassin said:
Z EX said:
Are you planning to put it on the rollers, to see if you've unleashed any extra ponies?
That thought has crossed my mind but I don't know anywhere nearby. Maybe it's time to organise another rolling road day for the club?
Now thats a bloody good idea mate, sort out the boys from their TOYS :wink:

could even get another cougar feature in FastFord if we got enough people interested

Another good idea! Would be good to have my car sorted too :roll: Still saving those pennies to finally get it sorted.
 

FlamencoAssassin

Well-known user
Sep 9, 2004
4,286
967
Cambridgeshire
skindemon said:
I'll probably come over on Sunday and have a gander!
It'll be good to see you there. :D

Now this rolling road thing..... Does anybody know a decent place in a central location? If you do please post info in the regional meets section. :wink:

Paul - When's that ST220 lump being fitted?
 

TopCat1127

Club Member
Sep 25, 2006
10,040
2,931
Middle of a field..........nr Huntingdon
For those who are having doubts this was a fairly easy mod to do because of all the 'homework' done by manos, it made the job so much easier having all the right parts this time, eh mate :wink: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: The only bit that soaked up time was cleaning the LIM, took best part of 3 hours!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: but was so worth it in the end 8)
 
S

Stewart

Apart from your very valuable time, how much was the total cost of these engine mods?
Group buy?
:roll: