What are you reading today.

Remind me!
Shouldnt be a problem though mate, its really good so I'll have finished it in the next couple of days.
I'll try to remember to bring 'The Beast, The Emperor and The Milkman' too - despite the odd title, its about Belgian cycle racing and its probably the best book on cycling I've ever read.

Reactions: Relliott6879
Well as said above, that one didn't last long. Rich it's packed for the weekend for you.

New book arrived today - apparently this is pretty much the definitive work on the subject.
IMG_20220330_182938_158.jpg

Reactions: Relliott6879
Secret Britain: "A journey through the Second World War's hidden bases and battlegrounds" by Sinclair McKay.

ISBN-13: 9781472284563

It's obviously a historical book, but it's well-written, not too dry, and in many ways reads like a travelogue. As well as descriptions of the places and what was done there, the author provides information about what those places are like now and how you can visit them, assuming they're accessible.

I need to look that up.
Iā€˜ve got, and thoroughly enjoyed this. In a similar vein I guess.

I once owned, and loved a Bond Bug. Firkin brilliant. Wish I could afford one now !

C897FFC4-1721-41C9-9DF4-AD443C9327AD.jpeg

Reactions: backseateducation
I hate not finishing a book. Even if Iā€™m not enjoying it I really struggle not to finish it.
It took me at least 3 attempts to finish Shardick by Richard Adams, and maybe 30 years, possibly more. I quiet enjoyed it eventually.
I loved Alastair Cookeā€™s letter from America on Tā€™ Radio. I was probably a late convert though.
Ive been reading the printed edition for months. The text that works so well verbally isnā€™t the easiest read. Now Iā€™ve adapted to his style and Iā€™m into the latter decades itā€™s easier and better.
Work of US history really, itā€™s amazing who he met over the decades.

Looks interesting, twin engine V8, must be 7ft wide. With an air scoop at the driver ? possibly light weight air con.

I recall the F1 fan car, with vacuum fan for ground effect on the back.
Banned, possibly Justifiably ā€˜cos it threw stones at cars behind it.

Then there was the 6 wheel Tyrell. God I Loved that car. Banned. For no good reason I ever heard of.

The chaperral fan car was the first to employ a fan to suck the car to the ground, Jackie Stewart drove it once and boiled the breaks, but he said it was a very promising invention, McLaren complained and got it banned, first to have side pod radiators, active aero wing that changed pitch for bends and straights, first automatic gear box, first to use the zl1 all aluminium big block Chevrolet engine, honeycomb aluminium for chassis etc, probably too many inovations in too short a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: HogMonster and mabo