What Have You Done to Your Cougar Today?

After a trip to Cardiff to visit a senior friend I was able to progress the Cougar more in the afternoon. Under a plastic cap I found the bolt that let me split the calipers. I had to bolt the caliper back to the hub and apply pretty much all my meagre strength to crack it. I also released the H brake cable to give me more room to play. I couldn’t push the piston back as one normally would on a frontbut it wound back in with unexpected ease. With less exposed rubber I attack it with the rotary wire brush, she got to functional if not pretty. I ended up dropping the disc to give that a good clean too. The inside of the disc back plate got cleaned up with the rotary wire brush as did the ABS ring. The inside face of the disc wasn’t pretty, I took the angle grinder to it for a gentle skim of the face, sounds brutal but trust me it’s better.
The lot got painted with rust converter and left to dry. With pads pending not much more I can do hear. Hopefully if the rain stays away I’ll do the same to the other side tomorrow. Or maybe I’ll take the bike out.

Reactions: Foobar
The rain stayed away, I took the bike out followed by a 2 hr walk with Mrs Mabo. Later, after failing to remove the drivers side caliper carrier I’ve just ordered the hex head bolts as recommended by Quicksilver and a new handbrake cable for that side too. Next problem will be getting the bar steward off.

Last edited:
Cheers Dandamano. I‘ve previously tried and failed to knock the front knuckle off. Despite my alleged masochistic tendencies I’m not sold on this idea, yet.
the caliper is off which I now know makes access far easier, I may be able to Stilson them in situ if I need to. I didn’t try too hard after the torx started to spin.
One thing I’ve learned tonight is I simply don’t have the muscle I used to have. I guess thats driving a mouse on a desk for a living.

In the last hour or so.....
I attacked the heads with a chisel and lump hammer, I wasn’t expecting this to turn them, the intention simply to give it a good shock treatment and free the corrosion off a little. Then It was the turn of the 14 inch Stlison. 10 minutes of that proved to fruitless, the head is simply to rounded and doesn’t present enough bite surface.
OK, off with his heads. The angle grinder soon went through I pulled the disc and caliper bracket at the same time. The stud remaining was gripped in the vice whilst still hot and the bracket wound off. Job done.
The bracket got a gentle tickle with the grinder as did the back of the disc. Massive improvement.

However I now found the cause of the tinny rattle that I can hear when the window is open. The disc shield is hanging by only 2 of the 3 bolts, it’s rotted away at the centre and is flapping about.
That lead to me breaking out the big socket, pulling the big nut off and sliding the bearing off the shaft.
3 rotten bolt heads now more accessible. The correct 12mm socket was soon spinning. An 11mm was hammered on in place and the bolts were soon sitting on the floor.
Off to Flea bay to see if I can find some disc shields.

Reactions: dandamano
Last edited:
Cheers Dandamano, yes that was my plan. The disadvantage in the ones from Germany is potential delay in delivery, I was hoping to get it mostly rebuilt next weekend.

Valid point Backseateducation, I’ve abandoned them on other cars in the past but I’m not inclined to do this now. Whatever the source they’ll get lashings of Hammerite before I fit them.

Ordered 2 from 2 different e bay suppliers. It was the cheapest way, both are new and will be panted prior to installation.

Now I hear one seller is away and can‘t supply for 2 weeks. FFS.
But the good news is my handbrake cable just arrived. :)

Last edited:
I‘m working outside so yesterday I spent my post work desk relaxation dodging the puddles and stripping out the older of the 2 handbrake cables, this meant slacking off the heat shields, other than getting right under to the lever the cable was free.
This evening is dryer so 20 minutes of faff got the remains of the cable off the lever, another 10 minutes and the new one is in and routed to the drivers side caliper.
The drivers caliper bits got a quick dose of anti rust stuff and left to dry and the passenger side caliper bracket bolted in place with 2 of the 5 hex head bolts that arrived earlier today. The disc back plate on this side is useable so will stay in place for now.
Waiting on the one disc backing plate that’s due soon and the new pads, also due soon. :)

Another day, another delivery, looks like the first disc back plate has arrived. That will get some more paint later.
Now painted and fitted. Hub refitted, disc refitted, caliper bracket refitted.

Last edited:
The timing of deliveries from several different sources has been perfect. Today the pads turned up, retrieved from the very carful packaging and inspected, that look good. Thank you Dandamano.
I’ve spent the last hour or so figuring out how to slot the pads into place and swing the caliper back too. On both sides I had to wind the pistons back in more, achieved fairly easily with a very strong screwdriver as a lever into the teeth, piston positioned so one of the teeth slots onto the nipple on the pad.
Handbrake cable fixed.
I more or less finished the first side then I spotted a twist in the hydraulic flex, so had to dismount the caliper and handbrake cable, rotate the caliper through 360 then put it back together again.
I tested the hand brake mechanism on the brake by using the same strong screwdriver through the U bend on the operating arm and I could check the effect. It seemed to work OK.
Rebuilt the second side and then operated both brakes via the handbrake in the car. It seems all Ok and seems to release fine too.
I pumped the pedal lots to encourage everything back into its natural position. The hand brake lever is a little higher than I’d like it so I’ll tweak it underneath on the cable tomorrow.
The 2 wheels will be taken to local depot tomorrow morning for the new Avons.
Mot booked for next weekend.

Last edited:
Driven her.
2 new tyres fitted at 9.00. Just the wheels to the tyre depot.
Then I had a good crawl around underneath to see if there’s any Hand brake travel adjustment underneath. Not that I can see. Remove the screws and lift the centre console 4 inches or so. None to be seen here either. Maybe I miss remember from the lil Suzuki ?
Fix all the heat shield fixings back in place.
Refit the wheels and drop her to the ground.
A 3 or 4 mile loop and all seems well. Check the calipers for heat to prove for any dragging and I reckons we’re good to go.
That rattle has gone so it was the disc back plate.
She’ll get a few more checks before the MOT next Saturday.

I spent an hour later Playing under the bonnet, checking fluid levels and such.
The brake pad warNing light has gone out so that just leaves 2 annoying me. I‘ve given up ( for now) on the coolant level warning light and fitted a link wire to that. Just need to check the book and switch the spanner off.
I went through all the hose clips and tweaked them with a screwdriver. It was while doing this I noticed the IMRC electrical connection was unplugged.
To get it back in place I had to pull the battery out ( my IMRC hangs off the end of the battery tray )
With the battery on the floor I plugged the elec connection back in place and discover the tab that should lock it in is broken off. How to hold it in place? I screwed a no 10 woodscrew into the place where tab should be. One side bites gently into the plug, the other into the strap that should lock the plug in. I‘m pretty sure that lock it in place.
Battery refitted, radio code and clock reset. I topped up the coolant level but everything else was fine.

Last edited:
Jinxy has had problems for years, balancing HC and Lambda. I've replaced bloody everything to no avail.

Forte got her to squeak through the last couple of years.

Just ran a can of Cataclean. Used my left hand to cover the exhaust while she was cold, and then my right hand to cover it once it had a chance to get worked through (10 minutes at idle).. Based on the results...

...I dumped a can into Wildcat.

Mot tester.
” fook me everything’s brand new under here, new brakes, new suspension, new brake lines, you do look after her. “

Pass. :)
It’s almost as if the various new bolts helped her look better. I was a little concerned when he lifted her up with the Jack on the rear footwells, just on the kick up for the tank but it is a strong point so all good.
No comment on my LED sidelight HID headlight mod which I was a little nervous of.

Another guy heard her with the engine running during the brake test and asked if it was the cologne V6. He was well impressed when I lifted the bonnet.

I’m a happy chap.

Last edited: