Rear bumper mod

John wwfc

Well-known user
Jan 23, 2008
West midlands Wolves
Thought i would have a go at making an infill ready for my new exhaust which is now just over three weeks away,so need to push on. I've got a little experience using fiberglass covering my model aircraft but not making a plug from this a mould which then should produce a good fiberglass infill.

All looks a bit rough at the moment. First pic. shows the lite ply which i shaped using steam.
21022010082-1.jpg

Then started building up using foam.

21022010087.jpg

Today started the shaping.

04032010110.jpg

still a lot to do.

04032010122.jpg

Can't wait to see how this turns out John, are you planning on fitting it & making the exhaust exits after the fitting?

Can't wait to see how this turns out John, are you planning on fitting it & making the exhaust exits after the fitting?

My plan is to remove existing tailpipe and fit the infill which will be painted more likely melina blue and have the cutouts already there so MIJ fit them spot on :smile5:

Quote: He's building a "diffuser" style infill mate

I may have ago at a diffuser style later by modding the plug but the first one will be just a none fancy infill which will fill the whole of the cutout.

Quote: Cool, what are the plans on the bench for?

Its the plans for a B17 which has a 6 foot wingspan and will be powered by 4 off 400 electric motors + gearboxes to turn the 3 bladed 8x7 props.

My plan is to remove existing tailpipe and fit the infill which will be painted more likely melina blue and have the cutouts already there so MIJ fit them spot on :smile5:

Quote: He's building a "diffuser" style infill mate

I may have ago at a diffuser style later by modding the plug but the first one will be just a none fancy infill which will fill the whole of the cutout.

Quote: Cool, what are the plans on the bench for?

Its the plans for a B17 which has a 6 foot wingspan and will be powered by 4 off 400 electric motors + gearboxes to turn the 3 bladed 8x7 props.

Is that Tony Nijhuis' plans or A.N.Other's? Got far with it yet?

My latest is a gloster meteor for 6 ch and EDF power... got some way to go yet and rarely find the time to work on anything fun at the moment!

07012010027.jpg

07012010028.jpg

Correct Jamie, i've been working on this plane now for over a year, enjoying the flying side of this hobby means less building time. I can imagine your gloster meteor when completed will look and sound stunning with those two edfs at full throttle, i can also appreciate the time and effort you have put into the meteor so far. I've built the fuselage inc. balsa sheeted, the wings are built but not yet sheeted.

Paul, i will be adding two cutouts because i want the tips to look really snug and as good as a factory fit or it will fly straight into the bin :smile5: I may build the cutouts in the plug so i can fiberglass at 90deg from the face so as to give the infill some depth when looking from the side, plus i may also add a slight bulge around the top of the cut out which tapers to a point. Any other ideas welcome (y)

I may build the cutouts in the plug so i can fiberglass at 90deg from the face so as to give the infill some depth when looking from the side

That'll make the finished part much stiffer too, so much less chance of it flapping or vibrating as you drive along the motorway with people sniggering as you go by :LOL:

What weight of cloth are you thinking of using for it, and will you leave the foam core there? I just laid up my undercarriage doors from 3 layers of 9oz/sqyd bid last night. Once they've cured I can see how stiff they turned out. I'm sure that'll do the trick though...

06032010064.jpg